Light Fixtures!

burning2nd

negative on the light bulbs (for everything and anything)

negative on the home depot

you should look at the Hqi 1x150 with t5's

that would give you enough for about 88%

2x150 will do ya good

prow

2x150 will do ya good
i think you missed the under $100.00 price budget:) .

mps9506

2x150 will do ya good

I thought this was a twenty gallon? I think that would be a bit over kill and above the price point :)
I agree with prow's suggestion on the used corallife unit. And just keep in mind which corals you can and cannot keep with that fixture and that'll get you on the path. Then hopefully dad will get the reef bug also....

Anselth

I have a coralife unit similar to that on my 50 gallon, my corals have been doing well. You'd be able to keep softies and most LPS under that light.

zoomer

When I set my first reef tank up years ago it was a 20 gal I bought a 8 foot long shop light from home depot and cut it down to 24 inches. Because the ballast was ment for larger regular florencent bulbs it worked just fine for the 24 inch H/O bulbs I put in it. Just make sure the ballast is rated for enough watts to cover how many bulbs you're going to put in. I mounted the fixture to a plastic canopy and supported that over the tank using a couple of 2x4s to hold the canopy above the tank. Not the most attractive set up, but it got the job done and supported the mushroom polyps and a few other soft corals in the tank. Just make sure the end caps are protected or they'll get encrusted with salt that can corrode them and cause an outtage. It is extreamly important to make sure everything is secure and stable. You dont want a poorly fastened ballast falling or anything else electric falling into your tank! After awhile I kept the old fixture and just replaced the H/O's with VHO's and had no problem keeping just about anything other then SPS, including a elegance coral that is still alive and thriving today. Most aquarist will perfer to use a mix of blue antic and white daylight bulbs.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I like the coralife fixtures especially for the $$. I made the mistake of NOT planning ahead on my tank and ended up buying THREE different fixtures so take your time and plan WAY ahead. If you have to wait and save a little extra to get the one you want so be it. You'll be money ahead in the long run.

also buy USED if you can (that was a GREAT suggestion prow) but keep in mind that the bulbs MUST be replaced every 6-12 months of the spectrum will shift and you'll start growing algae like crazy and your corals will suffer. I have a 24" coralife 130w unit on my 10g (20" tank) that's SWEET! Yes it lights up the entire living room but My corals are thriving. Zoas are spreading like crazy... mushrooms and popping out like mad... rics are doing GREAT!!

good luck and hang in there. It gets better and better!!

Allen :)