Away for 1 month

big_vard

Hey folks,

I am going to be away from home for 1 month. I have housemates who can look after my tank, but they literally know NOTHING about saltwater. I could potentially move my livestock to my dad's tank for that time, but would prefer not to.

I currently am running a 20g with HOB refugium/skimmer. I have 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 false perc., 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 ricordia and lots of LR.

Any thoughts?

Steve

goldenmean

Time to teach the housemate who has shown the most interest in your tank how to take care of it for a month
Feeding
Top off
dosig?
water change
look for signs of trouble

Maybe offer to pay (cash or chores)
or take em out to a nice dinner when you get back

Snelly40

yeah thats tough, your bio load is good though and u should be able to get by with minimal maintenance for the time you are gone.

As much as it pains me to say, cuz i know id be scaaaaared, you could just teach them to pur in fresh water for the top offs and do a major water change when u get home. Feeding should be easy for them, or buy an auto feeder and tell them to just fill it up every 2 weeks

big_vard

Interesting thoughts.

My dad has an established aquarium, but the hastle of driving 2 hrs and moving the livestock might not be worth it, especially considering the stress to the fish.

I was thinking:

1. Big water change a few days before I leave, and another one when I get back.
2. Have the housemates doing only top-ups as far as water is concerned (I'd have DI/RO water ready for them).
3. They can take care of feeding, I'll have portions pre-prepared.
4. Get them to just watch and make sure things look ok. I'll try to make a list of "warning signs"
5. Leave them my dad's phone number incase of emergencies.

Make sense?

Steve

Snelly40

i think thats best, i dont trust anyone to do water changes or anything that can go really wrong...to much to risk

i would do exactly what u just wrote and i think it will be ok, lots of live rock in there will really help u too and u have some hardy fish that i think will be fine for a month without a water change, much better than a 2 hour trip

murkywaters

your idea sounds good. too bad you don't know anyone that can come and check on it once in a while. Are your roomates responsible?

big_vard

Yes they are very responsible, just not knowledgeable LOL.

I'll teach them what I can... just worried, as I am finally seeing my setup getting into a nice groove with happy inhabitants :)

Thanks for the input.

Steve

SueT

could you phone them to check on things maybe after a couple of weeks. Check in and see how things look. You have things very well thought out from your previous post. I think things will be fine for you.

The only other thing would be meds for the nerves. ;)

mps9506

If you are really worried, maybe someone in the local reefclub could help ya out?
I had watched tanks for a few local reefclub members when they went on extended vacations. Just topped off, fed and made sure everything stayed normal.

lcstorc

Sounds like you have a good plan.
You can also tell them about RS and we can help out if they can't reach you for some reason.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Lynn, great idea!
Steve, If your friends are nervous about coming in start a list of members for them to PM with questions, Id be happy to help.
I would try to portion the food to minimum amounts if possible, oh yeah lol Have a GREAT trip. Steve

DaBird

Have fun and Good Luck, a month is a long time and I know that I'd be worried but you have it well thought out and now you have more good ideas to help...

murkywaters

get them to send you photos everyday thru email and then when you see something going down hill you can beg Dad to go fix it.