Search results

1. DeepBlue

What can I do with this?

A local LFS here in Madison closed it's doors yesterday and today posted on Craigslist.com that they had put several tanks behind the store for anyone to come and get. So, I ran over there to check things out and I grabbed one of these: I am thinking of using this as a sump. Of...
  2. DeepBlue

How do you get rid of glass anemones?

I have been having an issue with an outbreak of glass anemones that had started on the rock that came with my Finger Leather Coral. I have been trying to eliminate them by using a tweezers, but they are so fast on their retraction, that I haven't been successful getting them this way. I had...
  3. DeepBlue

Crocea will not stay attached

I have had a Crocea Clam for over 6 months now and at first introduction to my reef, he attached quickly and securely to the piece of rock I had put under him in the sand. I then moved him up in the rockwork where he stayed, happy as a clam, for about two months. Then, I had done some...
  4. DeepBlue

Mixing Kalk

When I had started adding SPS corals to my reef about 3 months ago, I decided to start using Kalk so as to provide the needed Calcium levels as well as keeping my PH and Alk. more stable. I am wondering if I am mixing the Kalk properly. My Calcium levels are now at around 425 and PH is a...
  5. DeepBlue

Can you have too much flow?

Hi everybody! I have been on sabbatical from RS for about 8 long months due to a very hectic year in my business. I am glad to be back as I was having serious withdrawal. Ok, let me start with an update on my system.... I have a 38 gal. corner bowfront with an 8 gal. sump. I am running...
  6. DeepBlue

Riccordia Came off frag rock - What should I do?

I had a frag of a single Ricordia on a small piece of rock. Yesterday, when I was repositioning the frag to a better spot, only the rock moved, not the ric. I am not able to tell if it is attached now to the main rock I had the frag on, as I am affraid to try to move the ric. out of fear that...
  7. DeepBlue

Serpant Starfish Lost His Arm

About 4 days ago, my serpant starfish (small, about 4" tip-to-tip) lost one of his arms. I found the arm laying in front of his usuall hiding place. The bristle worms made a meal of that and they have been staying around the star and appear to be picking at him. He is still eating and moving...
  8. DeepBlue

Fungus ID?

I have been meaning to ask this some time ago, but was unable to get totally clear images of it. I have this viscus material on parts of my rocks that don't get much light (primarily the back sides) that also appear to have vent tubes. This is somewhat spreading on the rocks and I want to know...
  9. DeepBlue

Possible Coral ID?

My system is 1 year and 1 month old. Approximately 6 months ago, I started noticing a faint orange spot on one of my rocks. This spot began to grow over the next month or so. It is hard to the touch and has fibers that extend from the tips of each of the branches. When I do my regular...
  10. DeepBlue

You have $300 to spend, what would you buy?

Ok, I know this could be dangerous, but I am putting you in charge of spending a little money for me! This should be interesting. I have budgeted ~$300 to spend this week for my reef tank. Now there are some items I want to get and know that I need. I just want to prioritize the items. A...
  11. DeepBlue

Small fish proofing my overflow box

Ok, for the past 4 mornings, I have gone to my reef, and all 4 mornings, I find my happy little baby citron goby in my overflow box. Fortunately, I have a sponge over the stand pipe that has prevented e poor little guy from getting sucked down into my sump. His body size right now is so small...
  12. DeepBlue

Deep Blue's 38Gal. Reef and Future Expansion

Hi all! I have decided to start a thread now after my system just turned 1 year old. I guess better late than never. I want to show a little of what I have now. I also am starting this thread to track my progress as I prepare to upgrade to a 90 Gallon or 120 Gallon display tank. I will...
  13. DeepBlue

Should I quarantine my cleaning crew?

This may be a stupid question, but I have just ordered a cleaning crew through saltwaterfish.com that consists of 10 Nassarius Snails, 10 Turbos, an Orange Linckia Starfish, a Flame Scallop (not a cleaner, I know) and a Cleaner Shrimp. This has been long overdue as my system is over one year...
  14. DeepBlue

R.I.P. Dispar Anthias

To my great sadness, this morning I was not greeted at the glass of my reef tank by my cherished Dispar Anthias. He was happy and active last night when I tucked them in for bed last night, and this morning when I went to do my regular maintenance and feeding, he wasn't there to greet me. I...
  15. DeepBlue

Question on converting to live sand from crushed coral

My tank is 1 year old and having followed a couple of the threads on this forum, I realized one of my problems in my reef is the fact that I am using crushed coral instead of a dsb. I have always had good test results of everything except the Nitrates which stay consistantly at 12.5 - 25 ppm...
  16. DeepBlue

Hi Everyone!

I just want to introduce myself to the community. I have been on here for a couple months, just soaking in what everyone is saying and using that information to better my reef keeping. This is truely a great resource for information. I had been a reefer back in the 80's and I fell out of it...