Deep Blue's 38Gal. Reef and Future Expansion

DeepBlue

Hi all! I have decided to start a thread now after my system just turned 1 year old. I guess better late than never. I want to show a little of what I have now. I also am starting this thread to track my progress as I prepare to upgrade to a 90 Gallon or 120 Gallon display tank. I will incorporate the current 38 gal. corner bowfront tank into the complete system and will make the tank a Pony tank. (Lynn is so pround!) Having the two tanks joined together side-by-side, will give such an awsome appearance and by joining the filtration together, will increase the overall capacity of the system. I am very excited about this and will be taking my time in order to get the best equipment I can buy rather than making the mistakes of the past. I will also DIY my sump & stand for the new system so that I can have exactly what I want and need for this system.

Here is the link to my PhotoBucket slide show of the current tank. Hope you enjoy!
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o79/DeepBluesReef/?action=view&current=1168531706.pbw

DeepBlue

Thank you! I am attaching some images here just in case some people have difficulty with PhotoBucket.....

Attachments

• ChromisandClown1.jpg
    ChromisandClown1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 50
  • CitronGobyand Nassarius.jpg
    CitronGobyand Nassarius.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 50
  • FullTankShot.jpg
    FullTankShot.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 49
  • FlameScallop1.jpg
    FlameScallop1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 49

DeepBlue

I screwed up....I put this thread in the General Reef Discussion when I meant to put it in Reef Chronicles. Does anyone know how I get this switch over?

DeepBlue

Thank you all for the encouragment. I need to work on getting better pics to post on here. I just have to figure the camera out a little more. It has taken some work to get the rock scaping the way I like, but I think it is almost there.

Aquaman - I love the Chromis too, they have such "spunk". They are really hanging with the Clowns, like they are one of them....

Gibeon

That pic of your yellow clown goby hanging out on the snail is awesome! :)

Makes me miss my clown goby... :(

lcstorc

Glad I could help. I love the yellow clown goby and in fact that is the only fish in my pony tank. You may want to leave him when you convert over. They are very passive except to others of their kind.
Good luck with the upgrade. If I can provide any assistance or insight into what we have done just let me know.
I am certain you will love the ponys. That is my favorite tank and that is the next thing I want to upgrade. I want more room and more ponies in the tank. :) Hopefully that will be my anniversary present since we went way big on the skimmer and really only need the tank, stand, and lights. LOL I say only.

DeepBlue

Thank you all again for the kudos. I was watching the reef this morning around 5am under the lunar lights and seeing the little goby swimming around and the serpant star and cleaner shrimp and the plankton rising, all the activity at night, it is amazing what we don't see during the daylight hours.

Lynn, thank you for your advise and I will hit you up for your expert opinion as I go along on this journey towards creating a pony tank with reef combo.

DeepBlue

Well, it has happened! My Occelaris Clowns have officially taken residence in my White Sebae Anemone. It only took four months. My Sebae wasn't looking to good for a while, not happy with where he was placed, tryed to move arround, until I found a spot it appears to love, in a crevace in a rock just to the side of the center of the tank. Great light, flow, etc. So for two months, it has stayed put, is eating well and has grown in size and colored back up. Now the clowns started slowly testing it out and last night, they were going full out nuzzling into the anemone. Last night, they camped out in it for the full night and they were in it this morning at feeding time. I had heard that Occelaris are very difficult to get to take to an anemone. What I had done was to feed the clowns around the area of the anemone and fed the anemone at the same time. Eventually, they got the picture! I am so happy to see this happen. I sat in awe last night watching them be perfectly happy in the Sebae! Life if good on the reef!