Fungus ID?

DeepBlue

I have been meaning to ask this some time ago, but was unable to get totally clear images of it. I have this viscus material on parts of my rocks that don't get much light (primarily the back sides) that also appear to have vent tubes. This is somewhat spreading on the rocks and I want to know what it might be and what I should do about it? It also appears to have some veining throughout it. It is very weird. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Unknown Fungus ID.jpg
    Unknown Fungus ID.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Unknown Fungus ID2.jpg
    Unknown Fungus ID2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 49

BoomerD

Looks like a sponge, NOT a fungus. I had several rocks with that on the undersides. Only possible bad thing, is that as it grows, it can cover more rocks...but it IS a filter-feeder, which isn't a bad thing...

DeepBlue

Thanks BoomerD! If it does grow too much, should I scrub portions of it off? Will it kill the rest of the sponge?

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
I have them growing on my live rock in some beautiful colors... orange, peach, and burgundy. It's a sign you're live rock is healthy!

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Sorry... I couldn't help myself.... :rolleyes:

fungus_amongus.jpg

Witfull

most sponge species prefer darker areas of a tank, the under sides of rocks, back corners and especially sumps. i wouldnt be concerned to much about it.

lcstorc

The important thing to remember about sponges is that they cannot tolerate air. Be sure to keep the rock(s) submerged and you have a nice freebie filter feeder.

BoomerD

Fungus does not have "vent" tubes. Sponges do they are called an Osculum. Ascidans also have vrnt tubes but it "appears" as if there are two. One in and incurrect and one is an excurrent. You have a sponge as stated by others. Sponges alos have incurrect tubes but they are very small and hundreds of them. They are called Ostia or pores.

Spnges
http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/biobk/BioBookDiversity_7.html

Ascidians
Sea_Squirt.gif

Yeah, what he said...(whatever it was...:confused: )