Search results

1. theplantman

If money were no object!

Ok let me show ya'll how to think big, if money were no object, Build a house on stilts over the water with a submerged glass basement in a beautiful reef location with a hatch access to head right out for some diving. Make sure it is engineered to be cat 5 storm proof. Driveway is a dock, with...
  2. theplantman

Why are men so stubborn?

glad to hear it. Wishing you both all the best of luck and a speedy recovery for Larry
  3. theplantman

Mandarin seems to be getting thinner

Unfortunately I don't think there is a timeframe. If you were to go through posts on sites, you will find time and again where people have sudden algae explosions or a tank crash or their phosphate levels can no longer be brought down and a lot of times one of the contributing factors is from...
  4. theplantman

Purple tang!!!! I'm hoping not ich

Looks like that fish is in the display, I would pull it out and set it up in a quarantine/hospital tank.
  5. theplantman

I would spend 150 and get an RO/DI unit first. Your tap may only test at 5ppm for nitrates, but there are phosphates, metals, chlorines, fluorides, and lord knows what else in tap water (that's just city water) wells can be better or worse depending on the quality of your aquifer and region you...
  6. theplantman

New Guy

LOL, it definitely is not cheap, but it is very rewarding and will hopefully be a great learning experience for not only you, but your little ones as well. Get a tds meter and test the water coming out of the ro anything above 2ppm and I would get a DI cartridge and plumb it into your system...
  7. theplantman

6 Reasons Why an Octopus is an Underwater Ninja!

Very cool article, loved the vids
  8. theplantman

Name your favorite powerheads and why. GO!

I used maxi jets in my freshwater setups but would not for flow in my marine tank. IMO flow should be high but distributed over a wider opening than these pumps have. Their discharge is too concentrated for my tastes. I love my Tunze nanostream. Its a beast for water movement, completely...
  9. theplantman

you could try buying pods on line and refurbish the population in your fuge and tank. What else is in the tank that might be competing for food?
  10. theplantman

New Guy

Todd, Investing in an RO unit is the way to go. At a minimum over a 1 year period you will spend $300.00 in real ocean water just for water changes. If you do 5 gal per week which is what I do in my 34, you are looking at $600.00. Then you will also be spending money for RO/DI water for...
  11. theplantman

New Guy

1. I would not dose anything more. Yes, the nitrogen cycle starts with ammonia, then a bacteria that break it down into nitrite develops, then nitrifying bacteria break nitrites into nitrates. The only way you will develop a good colony of bacteria to remove nitrates is if you have a deep sand...
  12. theplantman

New Guy

:welcomera Welcome to RS and congrats on the tank. Just out of curiosity, how long have you been cycling and how high did the ammonia get to? Also tell us about the setup. Once you hit 5 posts, you can import pics as well. we love those. Again, welcome to RS glad to have you aboard and...
  13. theplantman

You think you have algae problems?

The bad part is with that much algae, can you imagine the swings in oxygen levels at night when that stuff switches over from CO2 to O2? Hate to be a fish there.
  14. theplantman

You think you have algae problems?

Compost it and till it into the landscape. Good garden fertilizer. I wonder what kind of nutrients they have leaching into that water supply to cause a bloom like that?
  15. theplantman

Sean's 56g starphire

The tank looks incredible, great job and I am glad your mandarin is doing so well.
  16. theplantman

Need some advice

I agree with Dave
  17. theplantman

cant get tank below 81

Not sure how much room you have for a fan but this is a great one. http://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_Aquawind_Aquarium_Fan_Cooling_Fans_for_Aquarium_Lighting-Tunze-TZ8611-FILTACAF-vi.html
  18. theplantman

if you could start over what would you do/not do

if they were in a tank with ick, do not gift them to anyone. Not at least until the tank has been devoid of any livestock that can contract the disease for at least 10 weeks, someone correct me if it needs to be longer.
  19. theplantman

Nitrate hit zero using NO3PO4-X

Not sure what others would think, but if it were me, I would vacuum out what I could and then go lights out for a few days.
  20. theplantman

if you could start over what would you do/not do

+2 to what happened last round. Also, unless you are planning to add a refugium that is at least as big as your 130d, or to grow pods in a separate tank, stay away from Mandarins or you will most likely have a repeat. My personal opinion is Mandarins and Dragonets (like scooter blennies)...