Name your favorite powerheads and why. GO!

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Does anyone use Hydor or Maxi-Jet? I use Maxi-Jet for mixing my saltwater, but I was curious if anyone was using them for their DT and other uses.

theplantman

Does anyone use Hydor or Maxi-Jet? I use Maxi-Jet for mixing my saltwater, but I was curious if anyone was using them for their DT and other uses.

I used maxi jets in my freshwater setups but would not for flow in my marine tank. IMO flow should be high but distributed over a wider opening than these pumps have. Their discharge is too concentrated for my tastes.

I love my Tunze nanostream. Its a beast for water movement, completely silent and has yet to give me a problem. My koralia is ok, its an older model, I use one in the tank and one for mixing. I find the build to be much less superior. (flimsy)

DaveK

I thinbk your still missing the point dave. It seems to me that this topic is really just an icebreaker meant to get people from FB to here and visa versa, NOT really an in-depth conversation. Theres lots of Reefers on FB that may not know about RS unless it somehow pops up on their news feed cause someone commented on this post. Obviously we could talk all day about which pumps people like for what reason but thats what we have the in-depth topics here for.

As for me, i LOVE LOVE LOVE my Vortechs! (2xMP40 1MP10)

Well, I got to say that I don't feel I'm missing the point at all. I stand by my previous posts. In my opinion, such topics, with little or no useful content are a waste of everyone's time. Most reef keepers are fairly intelligent and they likely are already members in reef forums that interest them. They are going to find RS with out too much trouble, if this is the sort of forum they are looking for.

That being said, I don't blame others for trying new ways of doing things. However, I feel that something must really be offered, otherwise, we become just like most other sites out there.

Lipman

I am enjoying the posts on Facebook.
I would have skipped over a few posts that i saw on the forum because of lack of interest but when I see it on FB I seem to come and read more of the posts.
I also enjoy the articles being posted on FB, these i would have 100% ignored on RS but when i see a caption/image shown on facebook it catches my attention.

A friend of mine actually saw me like one of the posts and is now lurking around the forums. (not a member yet but he will be soon enough)

Keep up the great work :)

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I like my Rio return pump for being silent and energy efficient :)

Pat

Speaking of shocking from pumps. All my pumps are electrifying my two tanks. A 30 and a 50 gallon. I have unplugged them all, and plugged them in one at a time while checking current in the water, and every pump energizes the tank. The fish don't seem to mind, I guess due to like a bird setting on a live wire, and not conducting to ground or another phase. Is this a common effect from all pumps? I've read about grounding the tank, and I've read that will produce a current flow and make things much worse. I've heard that very expensive types of pumps will prevent this. My systems are on GFI's. Is there any inexpensive answer to this problem? If expensive pumps prevent this, why are cheaper pumps, that create shocking hazards even allowed to be sold?

jerry26

i like the wp40's so far.

i am also satisfied with my quietone 6000 return pump. seems to have this high frequency hum that i only hear when im trying to sleep. still a good pump IMO.

you could always stick one end of a wire in the tank and the other in the round hole of your gfci and see what happens. thats dangerous if you dont know any electrical so really id advise buying a male plug thingy for replacing the male plug. theyre designed to cut off if any power flows through that ground wire. start a thread or post in your old one so it shiws up at the top of the list.

GlassMunky

I use a maxijet as the pump for my Media Reactor and another one as the pump for my ATO. Never had any issues with either one.
Also, in My Biocube-14 I upgraded the return pump to a MJ1200. works perfect. :)
Dont think I'd actually use them for flow IN the DT though, kinda ugly and too directional for my tastes (which is what makes them perfect for the uses i mentioned)

Well, I got to say that I don't feel I'm missing the point at all. I stand by my previous posts. In my opinion, such topics, with little or no useful content are a waste of everyone's time. Most reef keepers are fairly intelligent and they likely are already members in reef forums that interest them. They are going to find RS with out too much trouble, if this is the sort of forum they are looking for.

That being said, I don't blame others for trying new ways of doing things. However, I feel that something must really be offered, otherwise, we become just like most other sites out there.
Most are fairly intelligent (we kind of have to be in this hobby), but thats not to say that some person new to the hobby who isn't on ANY reef forum but on facebook, like (most)every other 20-35 year old in america, they may find their way over to this awesome sanctuary among reef sites. just food for thought

Kaze3

I love my VorTech MP-40's!

It nice to switch up the modes and see the conditions change in the tank. When I turn up the power, its funny watching my fish swim right in front of the MP-40's as hard as they can:fishy2:. Its as if they are on a treadmill! One of the things I love best is the fact that the electricity is kept out of the tank thanks to the design of transferring motion from the motor (outside the tank), thru the glass/acrylic, to the powerhead (inside the tank). Im a big believer of keeping electricity out of the water!!!

Pat

I found the culprit causing the electrical shock in my tank. It was the sump return pump. Replaced it and not signs of electrical current in the system now. I'm sure this is not the intended topic here, but pumps that could cause a shock hazard is part of purchasing a good quality pump.

DaveK

I found the culprit causing the electrical shock in my tank. It was the sump return pump. Replaced it and not signs of electrical current in the system now. I'm sure this is not the intended topic here, but pumps that could cause a shock hazard is part of purchasing a good quality pump.

Would this qualify as a "Name your least favorite powerhead" ? (Just teasing)

Glad you fond the problem. All powerheads as other devices that has submerged cords should be inspected from time to time for cord damage. Over time the plastic is going to get brittle and crack no matter how well made the pump is.

Matt spivey

I'm looking at buying a vortech mp-10 for my rsm 130d (even if they are pricey in my area )

Are they loud and will they shock me? I know they're very good other than these things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
No they are not loud but they do make a slight hum. No they will not shock you as only the wet side is in the water and it does not contain any electroncis. All of the electronics are outside the tank, nice and dry.