Name your favorite powerheads and why. GO!

DaveK

This is on of those questions where there is no correct answer, unless you consider what the application is going to be. You may want a powerhead to act as a main return pump, or feed a skimmer, or feed a reactor, or circulate water, or mixing new SW. You much consider context. More to the point, the question should be, what are you trying to do with the pump?

PS - I must strongly protest the OP requesting responses on Facebook. Placing content there, keeps it from RS. Also, I'm sure there are other members, like myself, that for various reasons, will not use Facebook.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Agree with DaveK. I don't use Facebook so when you move the content there, I don't participate.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Please remember that I'm not moving content to FB. I am simply repeating what is on FB back to the forum. This gives people many opportunities: 1. Those who have not joined our forum can see content, respond, and possibly follow our links to join us. We have had an increase in membership following the three days I've been posting content. 2. Those who do NOT use FB, but want to know what we're posting and participate can do so right here on the forum. 3. Those who do use FB and want to see what we're posting can come to this area and see the posts and the responses from those who are not responding on FB.

In regards to how to phrase the question... it's open ended because it's not meant to be specific. Currently, there are two responses discussing Tunze and Vortech as their favorites for DT water movement. If someone wanted to mention that they like a Koralia for their frag tank - cool! If they want to discuss how they love X brand for Y usage that's awesome! It's just an icebreaker topic that everyone can join.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
So if someone only posts a response on Facebook, will it see it here?

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
So if someone only posts a response on Facebook, will it see it here?

I have been reposting responses from FB to here. Here are the current responses:

I'm all about my Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6055 controllable powerhead. I can maneuver it in any direction, the magnet is super strong, I can control it via multiple devices I choose to use, and it's SILENT!

MP-40. Reef crest mode is awesome and I only need one in my 75 gallon at about 30-40% to churn that water around.

Very happy with my Wp-25. For the price it does a Great job in my 65gal!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
No right or wrong here... in regards to FaceBook

Travis's idea was lets use FB to help RS grow... and asked Mayja to help make that happen, by posting on FB

The idea not to grow FB, but to grow RS, by adding RS post on FB

If I understand ... correctly - hope this helps ! If I am incorrect... I am sure Travis or Allen will let me know ;)

I like my vortech :dance:

ReefLady

Staff member
Hi everyone! :wave:

First of all, I REALLY appreciate the honest feedback and would encourage everyone to let us know how things are working for you and if you are seeing something you don't like. The suggestion box and PM are probably better places to voice concerns so that we don't derail discussions, but we'll take it wherever you feel passionate about voicing those opinions.

Facebook is a new venture for Reef Sanctuary, and one that I hope will positively benefit the community by increasing the diversity of our members and exploring new ways to find those kindred spirits who are passionate about reefing but looking for a Sanctuary to share their experiences in the hobby with others.

It's going to take some trial and error to get this dialed in. Please be patient with us as we figure out what works well for RS and what doesn't. I promise, the end goal is one we all care about - making RS the best Reefing community in the world.

As always, your feedback helps us strive for that goal and we appreciate and value it.

Thanks!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
No worries Glenn. Since I don't use Facebook and when this thread started, I didn't know Mayja was going to post all the Facebook posts here. Since she is going to post everything from Facebook here, then we can all still participate.

DaveK

In regards to how to phrase the question... it's open ended because it's not meant to be specific. ... It's just an icebreaker topic that everyone can join.

I have been reposting responses from FB to here. Here are the current responses:

I'm all about my Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6055 controllable powerhead. I can maneuver it in any direction, the magnet is super strong, I can control it via multiple devices I choose to use, and it's SILENT!

MP-40. Reef crest mode is awesome and I only need one in my 75 gallon at about 30-40% to churn that water around.

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. Without a context, only limited information is conveyed. Now most people here know that the powerheads so far mentioned are for circulation in the tank. I'm not trying to come down on anyone here, but everyone likes the unit they happened to buy. I suppose that human nature. All the pumps listed are good, but are they really the best? That's hard to say.

For example, I use a pair of Tunze Stream 2 powerheads on my 125 gal reef. With the controller they work out well, but they are out of sight expensive. I like mine a lot, but they would not be just for anyone. However, the other pumps mentioned would also work well.

ReefLady

Staff member
To clarify, the question was "name your favorite" not "let's decide which one is best."

It could have been favorite coral, fish, motorcycle, sand sifter, etc... you're absolutely correct there is never one right answer.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF

EDIT - adding another post: My favorite is the Rio 600 because it's always exciting sticking your arm in the tank and wondering if it's going to shock the crap out of you. :)

GlassMunky

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. Without a context, only limited information is conveyed.

I thinbk your still missing the point dave. It seems to me that this topic is really just an icebreaker meant to get people from FB to here and visa versa, NOT really an in-depth conversation. Theres lots of Reefers on FB that may not know about RS unless it somehow pops up on their news feed cause someone commented on this post. Obviously we could talk all day about which pumps people like for what reason but thats what we have the in-depth topics here for.

As for me, i LOVE LOVE LOVE my Vortechs! (2xMP40 1MP10)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I thoroughly enjoy my Vortech MP10wES even though it's about to go in for repair (or maybe replace the dry side). Regardless I really REALLY like it for my RSM130D.