Search results

1. eakatank

Spectrapure LiterMeter 3 Remote Pump

Can this pump be used without the whole LiterMeter 3 System? I want to use the Tunze Osmolator ATO with the Spectrapure pump but can't seem to figure out if it's possible. I have some concerns that the pump is controlled through a 3.5mm jack that plugs into the LiterMeter system. Is this...
  2. eakatank

HQI...What's the difference?

I'm looking into upgrading lighting over my 75 and am looking into the Current USA 10K HQI-MH. What's the difference between an HQI bulb and a regular MH bulb? Pros/cons with color temp? performance? bulb replacemnt $, etc.? Here's what i'm looking at: Current USA 48 inch Outer Orbit 2x250w...
  3. eakatank

Yet Another Lighting Order

Well I finally built up the courage to drop a few bones and upgrade my lighting. Here's what I have so far...I got bulb recommendations from DIYreef...Very friendly and helpful folks BTW. I'm looking for something similar in color to a 12,000K MH setup. I'm planning to run this over a 20"...
  4. eakatank

RO/DI Auto-Top off Questions?

I'm planning on setting up an RO/DI unit for top-off and need a little clarification on what exactly I need. I will be running the plumbing off of the washer line, up through the floor and into my sump. This is what i have so far: 1. Filter Guys: OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI 2...
  5. eakatank

Help identify please

Hello all, I stopped by my LFS today and ran into something I had not seen. Pics were taken with my phone so they're not what you would call good. It has blue branches and white tops. The owner told me he wasn't exactly sure what they were called but had heard they were difficult to keep in...
  6. eakatank

Emergency! Sump springs leak.

Ok. 75 tank w/ 55 gallon sump. The sump sprung a leak last sometime last night. I noticed the pump sucking in air and was curious why so much water evaporated in just a few days. Oh well...i guess i'll bring up another batch of kalkwasser. While refilling my drip reservoir i noticed the basement...
  7. eakatank

Dead Fire Shrimp

Well today i woke up to my fire shrimp on his side. Yesterday he seem normal. I don't see any signs that he was attacked. Everything else looks healthy. Any Ideas? 75g, 2 peppermint, candy cane, mixed zoa, bubble tip, 2 ocellaris clownfish, 1 mandarin goby
  8. eakatank

Refugium Maintenance

What type of maintenance do I need to run on a refugium? My tank/fuge is about 6 months old now and is overflowing with cheato. Should I be pulling it out and how much is too much? Do I need to siphon the sand bed like I do in the display? Should I stir the cheato on a regular basis? I guess...
  9. eakatank

New AquaC EV-180 not skimming after 5 days

I’m running a new AquaC EV-180 in my sump and the bubbles won’t climb the tower. I know the manual notes a 48-72 hour break in process but I’m starting to get a little anxious that I’ve screwed something up. I guess I’ll just lay down some facts and you can let me know where I’ve gone wrong...
  10. eakatank

Tree looking stuff

A few of these little guys started growing recently. What are they? Do i keep them? Thanks!
  11. eakatank

Bugs, bugs, bugs

There are a bunch of these little guys in the fuge. They're only about 1-3mm long. What are they? Good/Bad?
  12. eakatank

Refugium Questions: Lighting / LS / LR

How do I configure my refugium for best performance? Lighting 24/7 or opposite display cycle? Sand Bed or bare bottom? LR rubble or nothing? I am currently configured with a 3” LS bed, some rock rubble, macro algae, and 24/7 lighting. Should I remove the sand and live rock if I’m running 24/7...
  13. eakatank

AHHHH! Broken Thermometer! Please help.

Dunno how it happened but my thermometer somehow broke open in the sump. Any ideas on what I need to do (other then the obvious water changes). I’ve skimmed off as much of the red stuff as possible but the sump still smells like gasoline. The only good news is it looks oil based so it’s not...
  14. eakatank

Critical Juncture for Sump Design

I’m in the process of laying out a sump for my 75 gallon tank. I’ve purchased a 30 gallon tank for the sump and have cut acrylic necessary for a Model F Sump. The question I have concerns the intake compartment and the size of the skimmer. I currently have a Berlin Classic Skimmer with the...
  15. eakatank

Metal Halide Lighting Quandary

First off just like to say this site rocks! How long has it been around? I’ve been out of the loop for a few years now, but I’m excited to be back in the game. My question is with MH lighting. I’ve been doing a little research & talking to a few different people but figured the best people to...