Metal Halide Lighting Quandary

eakatank

First off just like to say this site rocks! How long has it been around? I’ve been out of the loop for a few years now, but I’m excited to be back in the game. My question is with MH lighting. I’ve been doing a little research & talking to a few different people but figured the best people to ask are those who have already made these decisions, and know if they’ve worked out for better or worse.

Right now I’m looking into the:
- 4 Foot PFO Custom Hood with 2 x Metal Halide + 2 x 110 Watt VHO with dual 250watt / 12,000K Sunburst Single-Ended Bulbs or

- Coralife 48 Inch Aqualight Pro, 2x250W HQI Lamp + 2x96W CF Lamps Sq. Pin + 4x1W LED

I’ve been told that the Coralife is a better light because the double-ended HQI lamps better transfer the lights wattage(or something like that). I’m only going off pics from the web but the PFO hood looks like a higher quality piece of equipment. The ballasts look they have a little more to them as well. I’m not about to blow 1000 bones on something I’m this unsure about. If there’s something else I should be considering please let me know. I’m just looking to get a good quality lighting system. Thanks in advance.

E

Little Luey

Welcome.
What are you planing to have on your tank? this will determine what type of light you need to get, if you don't keep the light loving coral/inverts you could save some $$$

ReefLady

Staff member
I agree with Little Luey. Looks like several hundred dollars difference between the two. If you're going full-on SPS then drop the cash now (you're gonna keep on dropping it too :contract: ). If you're looking at a mixed reef, with some montipora or something then I'd save some bucks and go with the single-ended.

T

eakatank

I've do have experience with mixed reef systems but I'm thinking about keeping this one primarily for corals & inverts. I haven't made the decisions on exactly which types, but thats the direction i'm planning. When all the pieces are combined for the PFO it looks like the two lighting systems are about the same price. I'm just more concerned with long-term cost...like having to replace the unit. I don't mind the necessary & ongoing expense for bulb replacement so much as the cost of replacing failed ballasts, etc.

cioutlaw

I just bought a Aqua light pro & will say it is built very nice. Coralife has a great customer service record as well. It also comes with 150W Halides for about $200 less

BoomerD

While Coralife builds some decent products, hands down, the PRO fixture is better. No comparison. Like trying to compare a well equipped Kia with a base model Lexus...YES, the DE bulbs may be better for penetration, but overall, the PFO products are of higher quality.

swissgaurd

welcome
i bought a few fixtures and ballasts from PFO
There quality and workmanship is very good.
i got my first hood piece by piece and i assembled in a very short time.
i was quite surprised,everything fit,my metal halide fixture is 6 years now and still no complaints,i would highly recomend PFO.

vic