Search results

1. Herman

need to buy a ro/di unit

Ok everyone, I realy need some input here!, I will be moving soon and will need to buy a ro/di unit and I know crap about them! Where I live now we have well water and my tanks have done great with no purificaton systems for years! (lucky I know) but when I move I will be on tampa's wonderful...
  2. Herman

phytoplankton

Now I know phytoplankton is a great reef food, but what I am wondering is it just algea? like the name brand "DT'S" what actually is it? I ask this because I have a 30 gallon quarentine tank that has been running for months while remaining empty and very neglected and the water has become...
  3. Herman

canopy thickness?

Ok, everyone what thickness plywood is recommended for building a canopy? I hear most recommend 3/4 but i am considering making mine from 1/2 plywood, any one know if this might be a problem? 3/4 seems awfull heavy. it will be to house 2 175w MH and 2 96w CF acitinics with four fans and...
  4. Herman

metal halide ballast

Ok folks, I recently purchased off of ebay a manetek 1130-91r ballast does anyone know if this ballast needs a probe start or a pulse start bulb? I have been having trouble with a cheap(ebay) bulb that wont start and i am thinking because its a pulse and not a probe. I think my ballast is a...
  5. Herman

metal halide wont stay lit!!!!

This is driving me crazy!!! I bought a 175w 10,000k metal halide off ebay(new and straight from china) wich i stored away until today when my ballast came in, put it all together and it wont stay lit!! it comes on for about 15 to 30 seconds then goes out! it will try to refire again shortly of...
  6. Herman

overflow adjustments?

Ok, I recently dumped my 2 hob filters and went with a hob overflow and 15 gal sump with a mag 7. my question is how do i adjust my overflow to restart after power failure? it never realy loses siphon it just doesnt restart at a high enough flow to outrun the return pump! I am using a durso...
  7. Herman

lazy leather

Well in my new journy into keeping coral I bought some zoos, some star polyps and one leather. problem is this leather just doesnt seem happy! and to top it off i'm not sure what type he realy is! i have put him on a rock at the top and he barely opened up, then one day i came home from...
  8. Herman

eco aquqlizer

has any one heard of or used the eco aqualizer? its for sale at www.ecoaqualizer.com sounds too good to be true but i'm definetly thinking about it!
  9. Herman

Mirror back

Ok everyone, here is a question what do you think a mirror backing on the tank would look like? I have read various threads on painting the back black wich from some of the pics that were posted look outstanding but i cant help but wonder if i want to install a mirror or paint black! so...
  10. Herman

Hello all, new guy here.

Hello all just wanted to introduce myself here! My name is Herman and as many have, my wife and I started out 3 years ago with freshwater to the tune of two very large and happy red bellied pacu along with 2 oscars,1 jack dempsey,1 green terror and a pleco who now all live upstairs. Well one...