Search results

1. J

Optical water level sensor for use with Apex Aquacontroller?

I have an Apex Aquacontroller and would like to use it to control my auto top off. I have a 120V electric solenoid valve which I can open and close using the Aqua Controller. My RO water is stored in a 35 gallon tank and gravity fed to my sump. I would like to find a optical water level sensor...
  2. J

Chromis devoured by another fish?

Could a 2" tang completely devour a 1" chromis overnight? I used to have 3 chromis in my tank. I witnessed one being nipped at by my tang to the point where he lost the ability to swim and I had to take him out and euthanize him. I never noticed the tang nip at any other fish. But I...
  3. J

Would a hot tub/spa heater work to heat an aquarium?

I have been looking for a better way to heat my 150 gallon reef tank and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using a hot tub/spa heater. The largest inline heater I have seen is only 300 watts and would only heat an 80 gallon tank. I currently have two 250 watt heaters in my sump. They...
  4. J

Is this a normal brown algea that will go away as tank matures?

This brown "furry" algea is covering much of the rock in my tank. I have been doing 15-20% water changes once a week, keeping my nitrates below 5. Is there anything else I can do to get rid of it?
  5. J

Dealing with aggressive clown fish.. Will solitary confinement work?

I have 2 pair of clown fish (one pair of black and one pair of orange) in my 150 gallon reef tank which were introduced at the same time. I also have 3 chromis, a yellow and blue tang, a diamond goby and cleaning shrimp. Everyone gets along except ...... The black clowns have turned into...
  6. J

How much should pH vary?

I am using an Apex lab grade pH probe. I just calibrated it. The pH range over a 24 hour period was 7.88 to 8.23. Does pH vary that much or is the probe giving inaccurate readings?
  7. J

How to grow ulva in refugium

I just got some cheato and ulva to put in my refugium. I put the cheato in and it stays in a ball and tumbles like it is supposed to. When I put the ulva in, it breaks up into individual pieces and wants to flow over the bubble trap and thru the return pump. Right now I collected it and have...
  8. J

Is there a "correct" way to feed?

I just got my first 2 pair of clownfish. They have been in the tank 2 days and still seem to hang out by the glass. I have read that it might take a few days before they really want to eat, but I just want to be sure I am doing everthing right. I have offered them Thera +A granules and...
  9. J

Lowering nitrites during cycling

I am using Dr. Tims fishless cycling with his "One and Only" bacteria. I am about one week into the cycle. My ammonia dosed to 2 ppm is gone after about 36 hours, so I think I am doing pretty good with the aerobic bacteria. Apparently I dont have enough anaerobic bacteria. My nitrites are >5...
  10. J

ATI 48" 8 x 54W Dimmable Powermodule Review

I just opened my new lighting fixture for the first time and I hate to say that so far I am not very impressed. The first thing I noticed is that the ac/dc power adapter that powers the cooling fans looks like it was picked up in a $1 store and thrown in the box. It is a "universal adapter"...
  11. J

LED Lighting for 10g Refugium

I think I would like to use LED lighting for my refugium. My refugium is approximately 11 gallons (16 x 10 x 16). Want to grow some cheato and get some copepods living in there. Anyone have any suggestions?
  12. J

Do controllers work in conjunction with programmable lights, heaters, etc,?

I am at the point where I need to order lighting, heaters and powerheads. All of the ones I am looking at (AquaticLife T5 HO Aquarium Lighting System, JBJ TRUE TEMP 500W Digital Titanium Heater, MP40W ES Vortech Pump) seem to be programmable. Do they work in conjunction with a controller? Do...
  13. J

Pump size for PM Bullet 2 protein skimmer

I just ordered a PM Bullet 2 protein skimmer. It recommends a Mag 18 pump. I am only using a Mag 12 pump on my return line back to the tank. If I use a Mag 18 pump, pumping water into the return area in my sump, wont it pump more water in than the Mag 12 can pump out?
  14. J

Water flow speed thru sumps and refugiums?

I have read in this forum that the water flow thru a sump needs to be 4-5 times the tanks gallonage per hour. Today I was at my LFS and mentioned that I was thinking about purchasing a combination sump/refugium by ADHI. My LFS salesman said that he did not like combination sump/refugiums...
  15. J

Fireman Jim's first 150 gallon reef tank

Hello everyone Well ..... I have a hole in the wall, so i guess there is no turning back now. Unless I can find a real big picture to cover the hole. My wife and I have always wanted a salt water reef tank displayed thru a wall in our dining room. I am within 5 years of retirement from...
  16. J

Is there such a thing as too much filtration?

I dont think I can even be considered a "newbie" yet, and this is my first post in the forum. I am about to take the plunge into what I hope will eventually be a fish and live rock reef tank. Since the my dream has always been to display a tank in a "picture frame" thru a wall, the first...