Do controllers work in conjunction with programmable lights, heaters, etc,?

JGard911

I am at the point where I need to order lighting, heaters and powerheads. All of the ones I am looking at (AquaticLife T5 HO Aquarium Lighting System, JBJ TRUE TEMP 500W Digital Titanium Heater, MP40W ES Vortech Pump) seem to be programmable.
Do they work in conjunction with a controller? Do you get less expensive equipment and let the controller control programing for lighting, water temp, wave patterns, etc)?
What exactly does a controller do?

steved13

PREMIUM
Yes and no, it depends on the equipment and the controller. Most (if not all) aquarium controllers have "switched outlets" So what ever is plugged into the outlet can be turned on or off by the controller turning the outlet on or off. The controller will have a clock, so the outlet can be switched on or off on a time schedule. Through additional modules, probes and switches, the outlet can be switched on or off through other parameter IE: temp probe. when the temp drops below a certain temp, turn the outlet on and at a certain temp turn it off, for heater. Or when float switch 1 is off turn the outlet powering the pump on. Some controllers have modules for more controllable functionality. The Neptue has a module for the vortech pump so throughout the day I can program different modes and flow percentages automatically. In other words have lagoon at 50% power overnight, and then 60% NTM in the AM and 80% NTM in the afternoon and so on.

It's mostly a toy, almost nobody needs a controller, but I'll never be without one again, I love it. I changed from the ReefKeeper lite to the Neptune Apex for the Vortech control. ReefKeeper should eventually offer it also but they are a little behind.

I do believe it is a good idea for a controller for heater, it's good insurance to keep a heater from sticking on and frying a tank. A basic controller for this purpose and is expandable to do a lot more is only $119.

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello Jim :)

I am pretty much in agreement with Steve there. The only exception is that some controllers do a lot more than simple on/off outlets. Like he mention some powerheads are "controllable" as well.

What does a controller do? Depending on the controller and your WANTS it can do almost anything. Some controllers are your basic on/off via timer along with some logic thrown in there for "Show". Then you move up to the other end of the spectrum with a GHL ProfiLux. I keep expecting it to have my toothbrush ready in the morning LOL!

This unit can literally control as little or as much as you want (aka can afford) and do it WELL! I am controlling my lights (simple On/Off on MH and T5's) which includes the RED/Blue LEDs and a Spot LED. This allows for a very accurate and realistic MOON phase and then to kick it up a notch some AMAZING thunderstorms! This does nothing for the tank but it makes ALLEN grin ear to ear!

I have all pumps and powerheads on it. Heaters are on it.

I could add a LOT more but that's as far as I am right now. It will DO more in the future :)

JGard911

Thanks Al and Steve

I think I am sold on getting a controller. The only thing that still doesnt make sense to me is that it seems as though you have to pay for features on equipment that you ultimately dont use because the controller takes over those functions.
The AquaticLife T5 HO Aquarium Lighting System, for instance, has its own timer. The Vortech MP40s also have their own timer/control module. Does a controller take over "control" of these devices. Can you get the powerhead from Vortech without the EcoSMART Driver or get a powerhead from another manufacturer?

This is such a simple hobby!!! LOL

seafansar

You don't really need to get a controller for what you're getting. All of those pretty much already have their own controllers. I'm not familar with the lighting, but pretty much all a controller will do for your lighting is to act like a timer. The MP40's have their own controller that you can set different modes to and turn on and off and on "feed" mode. That heater comes with a temp probe too, so it's like a heater and controller all in one, well three pieces actually. You could get a controller as a back up to the heater, but it will be doing the same thing.

Usually I would recommend getting a controller, but with the equiptment you're getting, I don't know if I'd really bother.

jpsika08

Jim,
As Steve mentioned above, the controller takes over all of your equipment through on/off switches.
You don't remove features that you pay extra for your equipment, you enhance them, for example, the Apex bring all predefined Vortech modes so it can communicate in the same language with the Vortech driver and this is how programmable modes through out the day are possible, it doesn't mean that plugging the controller to the Vortech, the driver will be obsolete and your money wasted.

Even that your new light fixture brings a timer, I'm almost sure that the Apex timer is more precise, also for example as you have probes which measure water condition, including temp, you can basically turn off the lights if temperature goes above certain level, something that is not possible without a controller.

There are tons and tons of things you can do with your controller and the expandability it offers is almost unlimited.

Hope you get one and if you do, I can gladly help you as well as other users to put it up and running :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
To Controller or Not . . . THAT is the question!

I for one think every tank "needs" a controller but then again I'm a gadget kind of guy. I love to tinker and I get a HUGE kick out of saying, "Ok stand back and watch this"...

Yes the powerheads and the light fixture you mentioned do have their own control built in but having TOTAL control of your system in one unit and being able to make "scenarios" happen (multiple events happening all at once... ie: lights slowly dim, powerheads cycle back and forth on HIGH and the lightning bar makes lightning) which would be hard to do via several individual control units.

Depending on what unit you buy you can hook it directly to your laptop/PC and have MASTER control at your fingertips or you can even have it wireless and internet connectible.

One think I like about most controllers is you can start simple and expand as your needs/wants/wallet allow. I can tell you this much... I think EVERY tank needs some form of controller on the HEATER! I do NOT trust the "Built In" thermostat on the heaters. WAY to many horror stories and I got lucky and had one "stick" on the OFF as opposed to sticking ON and cooking the tank.

I say "Go Controller" and take your "hobby" to the next level. If you really want to "Kick it up a notch" look into the ProfiLux units. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the least!

Happy Reefing :)

seafansar

Al- The heater he's talking about getting has its own controller of sorts. It has a seperate thing that goes in the water like a probe on a controller and has a screen that tells you the temp and I think will beep if it gets too hot. A controller would act as double back up which is good, but just letting you know the heater he's wanting to get isn't as basic as most heaters.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Al- The heater he's talking about getting has its own controller of sorts. It has a seperate thing that goes in the water like a probe on a controller and has a screen that tells you the temp and I think will beep if it gets too hot. A controller would act as double back up which is good, but just letting you know the heater he's wanting to get isn't as basic as most heaters.

Ah I should have read that. I mean it was in ENGLISH and everything there :LOL:

Thanks Sara :)

steved13

PREMIUM
Jgard, your point is not lost, yes you are buying good equipment with a lot of control. The controller adds some features, and also gives you 1 common "command center" if you will. As Juan said, you need the vortech ecosmart drivers, they contain the firmware to tell the MP40 what reefcrest, and lagoon etc. means, the Neptune Apex tells the vortechs to run reefcrest from this time to that time and then to switch to lagoon until this time and then to... you get the idea. You can switch the vortech to all different modes and output percentages manually (if you remember) or with the Apex the module speaks the vortech langauge and tells it what mode and when and what percentage. I switched to the Neptune Apex just to get the vortech control and I am very happy I did, and I already had a ReefKeeper Lite which is a nice controller. As Al said, and I know Juan is, and I deffinitely am, a gadget freak, take what we say with that in mind. Like I said earlier, probably nobody needs a controller, but if you like gadgets, and automation, and "cool stuff" it's hard to beat a controller. From the equipment already on your list, I can tell you like good equipment and aren't opposed to sepnding a little money on your hobby, and I'm guessing you're at least a little techno savvy, I think you'll get a lot of enjoyment from a controller, but it is far from a neccessity.

Buy the way the tank stats in my signature are from my controller...cool huh? :D

steved13

PREMIUM
PWA I use this site it gives pretty good directions, but it takes some patience and time ReefChat - Signature Generator Help

1 thing it doesn't tell you is it only updates every 10 minutes, so if you're working on something wait 10 minutes and update to see if it worked. I must have changed something about 20 times before I figured this out and went back to the first thing I tried and waited and it worked. This probably doesnt make sense until you start working on it and then you'll say "Oh now I see what he was babbling about" LOL

PM me if you need any help. Tom (tnwillia) was a huge help to me.

JGard911

Thanks everyone for the input

What I didnt want to do is get redundant systems if it wasnt necessary. So I am NOT getting the JBJ TRUE TEMP 500W Digital Titanium Heater in favor of a much less expensive titanium heater controlled by the Apex. I am NOT getting the AquaticLife T5 HO Aquarium Lighting System, as recommended by the LFS, because it does not have dimmable lamps, which from my research is a nice/required thing for more realistic sunrise/sunset.

So the order I am about to place looks like this: (Think I stole most of it from Juan)

1 - ATI-2321 ATI 48" 8x54W Dimmable Powermodule
2 - ATI-1129 ATI 54W Purple Plus
3 - ATI-54W ATI 54W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent
3 - ATI-54W-S ATI 54W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent
2 - ET-MP40WES VorTech MP40w ES Propeller Pump
1 - NEP-C-APEXEB8 Neptune Apex Controller w/ Neptune Lab Grade pH Probe
1 - NEP-WXM Apex Wireless Expansion Module/Vortech Compatible

I found two companys that are willing to negotiate on price, offering 10% off and free shipping
Champion Lighting & Supply and Premium Aquatics - Aquarium Supplies