Lowering nitrites during cycling

JGard911

I am using Dr. Tims fishless cycling with his "One and Only" bacteria. I am about one week into the cycle. My ammonia dosed to 2 ppm is gone after about 36 hours, so I think I am doing pretty good with the aerobic bacteria. Apparently I dont have enough anaerobic bacteria. My nitrites are >5 ppm and nitrates are 180 ppm (again, probably an innacurate reading because of high nitrites) after three water changes of about 20% each. I don't want to add any more ammonia until I get the nitrites down. Is there anything else I can do to lower the nitrites and/or encourage anaerobic bacteria growth?

AquariumTestResults-7.jpg

I don't include nitrates on my chart right now because it throws the scale off.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
anaerobic bacteria should not really be present except deep inside live rock or at the bottom of a very deep sand bed, water changes are defeating the purpose of a "cycle" this is simplicity itself, naturally occurring and your spending money like an Eskimo buying ice, deli shrimp ... let it rot... ammonia happens... bacteria grows and changes ammonia to nitrite... more bacteria develop... nitrite become nitrate... ammonia and nitrite are no longer showing on tests... water changes begin, spend your money on something useful, you will NOT develop a superior growth of bacteria with any of the boosters being sold

steved13

PREMIUM
I'm not very familiar with Dr. Tim's method. From the little I've heard I believe his "ammonia" replaces the deli shrimp, but other than that I beleive the cycle is the same as above.

You don't have to use the deli shrimp, it is popular and the way I do it also, but I have read good things about the Dr. Tim's method.

I'm with Sasquatch...I doubt you want to do water changes to lower nitrites. I remember reading where you could E-mail Dr. Tim and ask him such questions directly. Or possibly someone who has used that method will be along to offer advice.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I may be wrong, but I think one of those using the Dr. Tim's method was told by Dr. Tim to do a water change when the cycle stalled and the nitrites wouldn't drop. Best to send him an email for advice. I'm wondering if those high nitrates are intefering with the activity of the nitrite converting bacteria. From what I've read, Dr. Tim is usually pretty quick with replies.

lcstorc

Time is what you need.
Let the bacteria do their thing. They need time and food to multiply.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The method here involves calculated ammonia dosing with a live bacteria additive - the bacteria get all the food they need. :)

Jackalope

anaerobic bacteria should not really be present except deep inside live rock or at the bottom of a very deep sand bed, water changes are defeating the purpose of a "cycle" this is simplicity itself, naturally occurring and your spending money like an Eskimo buying ice, deli shrimp ... let it rot... ammonia happens... bacteria grows and changes ammonia to nitrite... more bacteria develop... nitrite become nitrate... ammonia and nitrite are no longer showing on tests... water changes begin, spend your money on something useful, you will NOT develop a superior growth of bacteria with any of the boosters being sold

+1 there is no "Mechanic in-a-can"

steved13

PREMIUM
I may be wrong, but I think one of those using the Dr. Tim's method was told by Dr. Tim to do a water change when the cycle stalled and the nitrites wouldn't drop. Best to send him an email for advice. I'm wondering if those high nitrates are intefering with the activity of the nitrite converting bacteria. From what I've read, Dr. Tim is usually pretty quick with replies.

Good advice Terry, Follow the program, contact Dr. Tim and get it done properly.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It's a great way to cycle IMO. I've now seen several dry rock tanks successfully cycled with the method. Ammonia dosing is nothing new, but in conjunction with the bacteria it does a nice job, and no smelly decomposing shrimp or the other decomposition oils, etc. that aren't needed.

jpsika08

I just introduced six Deli Shrimp to my tank and today after four days I began seeing some increase in the Ammonia and Nites, this is the second time I cycle a tank like this, +1 With Sasquatch and Terry's advice.

JGard911

Dr. Tim recommended a water change, so I have done several 20% water changes. My nitrite level hasn't dropped. My nitrate readings are 160 ppm.
Dr. Tim says that with elevated nitrite readings above 5 ppm that the nitrate readings are inaccurate. Does eveybody agree with that?

The last ammonia dose to 2 ppm was gone in about 36 hours. Am I correct in my thinking that I don't want to dose with ammonia any more until the nitrites drop? Wouldn't that cause the nitrite level to continue to rise?

Richard 1

I'm currently cycling my tank with this method also and my level for past 2 days were the same as yours. Today my nitrite level started dropping and my nitrate level doubled. Give it enough time, but if your worried contact Dr Tim thru email ... I did and he answered me within a couple of hours.

cjrudy

I just introduced six Deli Shrimp to my tank and today after four days I began seeing some increase in the Ammonia and Nites, this is the second time I cycle a tank like this, +1 With Sasquatch and Terry's advice.

+1

I put one big shrimp in my 90 gallon upgrade and after 1 week my ammonia is up and my nitrite is at.025.

Richard 1

It's a great way to cycle IMO. I've now seen several dry rock tanks successfully cycled with the method. Ammonia dosing is nothing new, but in conjunction with the bacteria it does a nice job, and no smelly decomposing shrimp or the other decomposition oils, etc. that aren't needed.
My tank is a dry rock tank and thats why I chose this method.

JGard911

Almost 100% water change in last 5 days. My nitrites are still >5 ppm. I just diluted a tank water sample with 50% RO water and it STILL tested >5 ppm. I haven't dosed any ammonia in 5 days. Is there anything else that could be producing nitrites? This is very frustrating.

Jackalope

i have heard of water systems/supplies using amonia to "purge" new lines. i didnt catch, but did you test the FW before hand???

Jackalope

again not to sound like a jackarse, but dosing things like this is a mess. natural accurance vs. dosing is behond me. time.... this is the key.

Correct me if im wrong but isnt the cycle, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, po4?