ATI 48" 8 x 54W Dimmable Powermodule Review

JGard911

I just opened my new lighting fixture for the first time and I hate to say that so far I am not very impressed.

The first thing I noticed is that the ac/dc power adapter that powers the cooling fans looks like it was picked up in a $1 store and thrown in the box. It is a "universal adapter" with 6 different plugs on the end and 5 different output power settings. For $1200 you would think they could provide an adapter made specifically for the light.

The directions are also very poor. I am theorizing that it has to do with translating German into English.

The is no reference to the dimming module at all in the directions. There are 2 toggle switches with 2 different settings, 2 dimmer knobs, and 4 banana plugs on the bottom of the dimmer unit that I have no idea what they are used for.

2 of the 8 bulbs are controlled by different circuits, but there is no mention of which bulbs they are in the directions. (I know I can find out thru trial and error, but this should be referenced in the directions)

I am not to the point where I am ready to see how the lights themselves perform. I will update the thread when that happens. But I am a little discouraged so far. Any input or comments from anyone with these lights is appreciated.

jpsika08

Jim,
Sorry to hear about his, hope that it performs so well that all problems above can be overseen.
Keep us posted.

JGard911

Juan

Thanks for words of encouragement.

I actually got a phone call from the distributor. He had to agree with just about everything I had to say, including the "universal" adapter being kind of "cheap" and the poor directions. But he seemed very knowledgeable and was able to talk me thru the Apex settup.
I apparently need a 2 channel light dimming cable from Neptune Systems which connects to the banana plug connectors on the control unit. Interestingly enough he had to point out that the red wire connects to the black terminal, and vice versa. (I guess they wire things differently in Germany). He even included this picture in an email.

Dimmable_PM__APEX_Set-up_2.jpg

Also, bulbs 3 and 6 are controlled on a seperate circuit.
Hope he takes this information and adds it to the directions included with the light fixture.

seabass

Wow sounds technical lol.When you get this bad boy up and running let me know what you think about it.I heard nothing but good things about these lights and im looking to get the 36'' 10 bulb.

Bad LS1

Juan

Thanks for words of encouragement.

I actually got a phone call from the distributor. He had to agree with just about everything I had to say, including the "universal" adapter being kind of "cheap" and the poor directions. But he seemed very knowledgeable and was able to talk me thru the Apex settup.
I apparently need a 2 channel light dimming cable from Neptune Systems which connects to the banana plug connectors on the control unit. Interestingly enough he had to point out that the red wire connects to the black terminal, and vice versa. (I guess they wire things differently in Germany). He even included this picture in an email.

Dimmable_PM__APEX_Set-up_2.jpg

Also, bulbs 3 and 6 are controlled on a seperate circuit.
Hope he takes this information and adds it to the directions included with the light fixture.

JGard911,

I also have a ATI 48" 8 x 54W Dimmable Powermodule. My thoughts about the universal connectors and lack of instructions was the same as yours. I do love the light output thought. I recently purchased an Apex controller and FedEx shipped it yesterday. I hit the internet to try and search for instructions on how to connect the Apex to my powermodule so I can use the controller to turn my lights on/off and dim them. Any info you could give me would be great! I can't really see that pic you posted. Is there any way you could maybe post a close up picture of how you connected the Apex to the powermodule and any other tips you may have for controlling the PM with the Apex?

This is my first post here at Reef Sanctuary because my google search led me here. Now that I have found it I will stay and poke around a bit. :D

JGard911

Any info you could give me would be great! I can't really see that pic you posted. Is there any way you could maybe post a close up picture of how you connected the Apex to the powermodule and any other tips you may have for controlling the PM with the Apex?

Hi BadLS1

My aquarium setup has taken a back seat to other projects. I am actually just getting water in my tank for the first time today. So I dont have much more input into the ATI Powermodule. The photo I posted was sent to me from the U.S. distributor.

The gentleman I talked to was Greg Morgan. His email address is gmorgan@reefgeek.com and phone numbers are 310-533-9500 or 866-295-9230 (toll-free).

He was very helpfull and I am sure he can answer your questions. The key to Apex control is getting a Neptune 2-Channel Light Dimming Cable. Cost about $20 online with shipping.

Last edited:

petraio

I just opened my new lighting fixture for the first time and I hate to say that so far I am not very impressed.

The first thing I noticed is that the ac/dc power adapter that powers the cooling fans looks like it was picked up in a $1 store and thrown in the box. It is a "universal adapter" with 6 different plugs on the end and 5 different output power settings. For $1200 you would think they could provide an adapter made specifically for the light.

The directions are also very poor. I am theorizing that it has to do with translating German into English.

The is no reference to the dimming module at all in the directions. There are 2 toggle switches with 2 different settings, 2 dimmer knobs, and 4 banana plugs on the bottom of the dimmer unit that I have no idea what they are used for.

2 of the 8 bulbs are controlled by different circuits, but there is no mention of which bulbs they are in the directions. (I know I can find out thru trial and error, but this should be referenced in the directions)

I am not to the point where I am ready to see how the lights themselves perform. I will update the thread when that happens. But I am a little discouraged so far. Any input or comments from anyone with these lights is appreciated.

I agree I have purchased same heavy fixture ok built just good ballasts one thing that i dislike is the reflectors the silver coating will stain no even with the shield on at all times !!! had to replace them and reefgeek would not even give a discount for buying 8 reflectors at once this will happen within 2 years time so back to calculate lamp replacement and reflectors!! after all going with TEK brand is a wiser choice! reflectors are in long run better !! is=f kept clean will last for ever! good luck