How much should pH vary?

JGard911

I am using an Apex lab grade pH probe. I just calibrated it. The pH range over a 24 hour period was 7.88 to 8.23. Does pH vary that much or is the probe giving inaccurate readings?

steved13

PREMIUM
It's easy to check, just put the probe in the cal fluid...It should read the proper value of the fluid.

Your pH could swing that much, especially if you have quite a bit of algae?

a pH reading of 7.8 before the light turns on is normal. If it's not at least 8.2 by the end of the light cycle, then you might have a problem. You can stabilize your pH more by adding a refugium or an algae scrubber that has a light timer on the opposite schedule of your display tank. The photosynthesis of the algae and activity of the microbes in the light will bring pH up and stabilize it immensely.

jpsika08

Matt, it's Alkalinity; having a 10 - 11 DKH will hold the ph for you, mine keeps at 10.2 dKh and ph is very stable.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I just raised mine from 8-9 to about 11 and i've seen my ph really stabalize. i'd like to get it into the 8-8.2 range bit it stays at 7.8-8 range :(

tommyboynj

I had the same problem and I resolved it by doing two things. 1) I got my alk up to 10 2) I made sure I had some good surface aggitation. Rhea combined help stablize my pH. I recently added chaeto to my sump in reverse schedule lighting. As that grows out I hope for additional sability. My pH now swings between 8.0 and 8.2 over 24 hours.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Normal alk levels for NSW at a salinity 1.025-1.026 is around 8-9 dkh. If you are still having issue when you are at normal alk levels then it most likely has to do with co2. So take a peek at the things that effect that. So calcium reactor?? or is the tank getting enough fresh air, or is it next to a heater vent? furnace? or other things similar that produce co2. One easy fix would be to run your air intake from your skimmer to the exterior. That way you are venting in fresh air.

Also when it comes to PH its the swing you really need to keep an eye on, a couple degree swing is not an issue at all.

Mojo