Search results

1. zoidberg

Upgrading the tank.......

Hey everyone, It's been awhile since I posted anything. I've been standing back and reading the post instead of making them. It's time to upgrade. I'm upgrading from my 40 breeder to a 75 gallon with built in overflow. I've read the various post on upgrading reef tanks but I would still...
  2. zoidberg

40 Gallon Tank Cycle

Hey everyone, I started cycling my reef tank last weekend. It's a 40 gallon breeder with 80lbs of oolite sand (70 in tank 10 in sump) and 80lbs of live rock and 20lbs of base rock. To jump start the cycle I have 2 dead silversides floating in a filter bag. I've tested my water every two...
  3. zoidberg

20 Gallon High Sump

I was wondering if everyone can give some imput on my sump design. Its a standard 20 gallon high tank, to be used on a 40 gallon breeder reef tank. All the baffles will be about 10" in height Do I need the last baffle before the skimmer and return?
  4. zoidberg

40 Gallon Breeder Stand DIY

I'm making a stand for my 40 gallon breeder (soon to be reef tank). Only thing I have left is to make the doors, cut the holes for the doors and to paint. Does anyone have any input on making doors? I made a pathetic attempt at making a door but I'm not happy on how it came out. As of...
  5. zoidberg

AquaC Urchin Pro

What does everyone think about the AquaC Urchin Pro In-sump skimmer? I found a use one for $125 and I'm thinking about picking it up.
  6. zoidberg

40 Gallon Breeder Reef Tank

Hey everyone, I'm been out of the hobby for about a year. I'm starting back up again and would like everyone's opinion. I want to do a reef setup with about 50 pounds or more of live rock. I picked up a 40 gallon breeder tank from Petco with the $1 per gallon sale. I'm going to build my...
  7. zoidberg

Plants are dying!!!

I have a 55 gallon planted tank and it's been up and running for about 8 months now. I had it setup with just all plants and fish there was no other decorations. All the plants were multiplying and looked healthy. I thought it looked kind of plain. So about 2 months ago I got some rock from...
  8. zoidberg

10 Gallon wet dry filter

Hey everyone, I'm planning on building a 10 gallon wet dry trickle filter this weekend for my 29 gallon saltwater tank. Is it fish safe to use regular silicone from the hardware store or do I have to buy the small tubes of the aquarium silicone at the LFS for $12. If all goes well I...
  9. zoidberg

Falling Snails

I was wondering why is it that turbo snails will just fall? They will be at the top of the tank and just let go. Most of the time they will land fine and be able to climb back up. A few times I had to help them and turn them over.
  10. zoidberg

Still Having PH Issues

I can't get my PH to Rise. My PH has been at 7.8 and I've been trying to raise it to at least 8.0 but I havent had any luck, and to make matters even worse, I checked it tonight and its at 7.4 I've been using Kent Superbuffer-dKH. I changed my salt from Petco brand to Instant Ocean and still...
  11. zoidberg

Need your opinion.......

I was looking for a remora pro on craigslist, and came across a guy with a sump for $90 just on the other side of town. It includes a 600gph pump, hoses and cpr cs90 overflow. Keep in mind this will be going on a 29 gallon tank, but I plan on eventually updating to a 75. Do you think it is a...
  12. zoidberg

Help choosing a protein skimmer.

I have a 29 gal fish and reef tank, right now I'm using a cheap eBay skimmer that was giving to me. Well to keep it plain and simple it sucks. It worked good in the beginning, but now it only skims when it wants to. I want to upgrade and was looking at Coralife 65 skimmer, Eshopps 75 hang on...
  13. zoidberg

My big headache

I had my 29 gallon tank up and running for about 5 months, first I had the red algae problem, got that cleared up. Then about a month later I have the green hair algae problem, It got out of hand, I had algae growing on my snails and crabs . I cut the light down to less than 8 hours a day, I...
  14. zoidberg

Red Algae

My tank has been up for about 3 weeks, one chunk of live rock has a big section that has red algae (almost looks like a piece of carpet). Is that normal or should I remove it or leave it be?
  15. zoidberg

Hi, First post. I'm new to saltwater, I had freshwater for over 10 years. I needed a challenge, and plus I like the look of saltwater tanks. I had my saltwater setup about 3 weeks ago now. 29 Gallon Penn Plax Canister Filter (500) 45.5lbs of Live Rock 40lbs of sand 1 Yellow Tail Damsel...