10 Gallon wet dry filter

zoidberg

Hey everyone, I'm planning on building a 10 gallon wet dry trickle filter this weekend for my 29 gallon saltwater tank. Is it fish safe to use regular silicone from the hardware store or do I have to buy the small tubes of the aquarium silicone at the LFS for $12.

If all goes well I basically want it to turn out like this:

YouTube - DIY 10 Gallon Wet/Dry Filter.AVI

DaveK

First, save time and money. Construct a sump rather than a trickle filter. Trickle filters tend to become nitrate factories, and you end up with only a marginal improvement.

You must use aquarium grade silicone. Most all the silicone sold in hardware stores contains anti fungus and mildew agents. This is lethal to the livestock. Check the tubes and make sure it's rated for aquarium used and doesn't contain such chemicals.

Consider ordering on the net. You usually can get good prices and prompt delivery.

homedepot and lowes both carry aquarium safe silicones, its over near the paint section. the ones ive seen clearly label the front of the package as aquarium safe. it was only like $6

zoidberg

I will look at Home Depot for the $6 aquarium stuff. If I can't find it I will order online. Dave whats the difference between a sump and a trickle filter. I thought a wet dry trickle filter was a sump? Or is a sump when you just use the filter bags?

DaveK

A trickle filter uses a media such as bio-balls, and lets the water run over it, usually via a drip tray. A trickle filter also has the function of a sump in that it's a place to keep additional water in the system and maintain a constant level in the display tank.

Trickle filters do a few things very well. One is gas exchange, CO2 out and O2 in. The other is the breakdown of ammonia --> nitrite --> nitrate. Now at first though, you would think that's good, but with a trickle filter the process is so effective that the rest of the filtration system doesn't get much of a chance to deal with anything. This in turn usually causes a build up of nitrates. This is why advice is often given to people with trickle filters to remove the bio-balls.

I recommend you build a berlin type sump. This uses a mechanical filter, usually a filter sock to remove the particulate matter. A large powerful skimmer is used to remove other waste products. A refugium is often included in such a system, but it can be considered optional.

Also a berlin type sump will be much easier to construct.

I built my sump/fuge out of a 10G
This was when it was in its testing stages, now just picture a filter sock on the right, and some cheato on the left. I could have made the return area a bit smaller though. Also in the return now is a heater and float switch. pump was also off for the picture, the water levels not normally that high
sumpfuge.jpg

zoidberg

That looks nice "imsobored" what type of return pump are you using? What water level do you keep it at?

its a viaqua, very cheap pump, but has been running great. And is pretty quiet.
in the return chamber, i'd say when the pumps running theres about 6-7inches of water in there
and thank you

bbe22

That thing is really cute! I'm with the others here though, make a refugium and sump instead of a wet/dry unless it's a fish only tank. Sure you could buy something, but where's the fun in that?