Upgrading the tank.......

zoidberg

Hey everyone, It's been awhile since I posted anything. I've been standing back and reading the post instead of making them. It's time to upgrade. I'm upgrading from my 40 breeder to a 75 gallon with built in overflow. I've read the various post on upgrading reef tanks but I would still love everyone's input. Originally the 40 gallon was set up with 80lbs of live rock with 30lbs of base rock from reefcleaners.org, and that was over a year ago so I'm sure it's all live rock now. For the new tank, besides transferring all the original live rock from the 40 breeder, I'm thinking of buying some more base rock from reefcleaners.org. It's too bad I can't reuse the sand but I will just transfer a cup or two into the new tank and buy new live sand. I will also transfer all the original water from the 40 into the 75 and top it off with fresh saltwater. Doing what I describe do you believe the new tank will re-cycle. Mini-Cycle?

theplantman

i would expect a mini cycle but not much of one. I am assuming that the base rock you are getting is dry. If not I would watch for a cycle. I have heard of people moving their entire systems like this and setting right back up immediately without issues, but I like to err on the side of caution.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Your plan sounds good and I don't see where a mini cycle would happen assuming you'll keep the rock wet. Adding new sand is a good things and adding more dry rock won't harm anything (make sure you rinse it!)

Why not upgrade to a 90?

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
If you are moving live rock/sand from one system into another with SW already mixed, you should be able to without issue. Adding new sand/new dry rock will not start a "Cycle" but might take a while to colonize with nitrofying bacteria. I've added rinsed dry rock to an established system before without issue. As for adding dry base rock. Add that first, add the sand, and fill 2/3 full of water. Then move the Live rock, seed sand etc. I'd keep the fish in a different tank for 24 hours during this process, filled with water from the tank they were in. Once rock/sand moved, top off water and fire up the new tank. If clouding becomes an issue, use some floss/powerfilter to get rid of that, but give the tank about 8-12 hours to stabilize before adding the fish in. If you are moving all the rock, moving all the fish into the tank shouldnt be an issue. Watch for possible amonia spikes, but with 80lbs cured live rock, it shouldnt be big and if it happens it wont last more than a couple days.

LSUFireGal

I just had to replace my tank due to failure at the seems. I moved my sand and live rock and the water I was able to save in to the new one. I had no problems. All water tests were good.

zoidberg

Thanks for all the input so far.

i would expect a mini cycle but not much of one. I am assuming that the base rock you are getting is dry. If not I would watch for a cycle. I have heard of people moving their entire systems like this and setting right back up immediately without issues, but I like to err on the side of caution.

The base rock is dry. Its very nice looking rock too.

Your plan sounds good and I don't see where a mini cycle would happen assuming you'll keep the rock wet. Adding new sand is a good things and adding more dry rock won't harm anything (make sure you rinse it!)

Why not upgrade to a 90?

Haha I was thinking about it, I couldn't decide between the two but I got a good deal on the 75, just waiting for it to come in.

If you are moving live rock/sand from one system into another with SW already mixed, you should be able to without issue. Adding new sand/new dry rock will not start a "Cycle" but might take a while to colonize with nitrofying bacteria. I've added rinsed dry rock to an established system before without issue. As for adding dry base rock. Add that first, add the sand, and fill 2/3 full of water. Then move the Live rock, seed sand etc. I'd keep the fish in a different tank for 24 hours during this process, filled with water from the tank they were in. Once rock/sand moved, top off water and fire up the new tank. If clouding becomes an issue, use some floss/powerfilter to get rid of that, but give the tank about 8-12 hours to stabilize before adding the fish in. If you are moving all the rock, moving all the fish into the tank shouldnt be an issue. Watch for possible amonia spikes, but with 80lbs cured live rock, it shouldnt be big and if it happens it wont last more than a couple days.

I can keep the old tank up for a few days, it would be in the way but if needed I can for the fish.

I just had to replace my tank due to failure at the seems. I moved my sand and live rock and the water I was able to save in to the new one. I had no problems. All water tests were good.

That sucks, my sister had a Deep Blue 55 gallon start to leak after a year. How did you move the all the sand over? It didn't cause a spike in ammonia?

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Keeping the old tank up is an option if you have no other spare tanks, but when you go to removing the rockwork, its liable to stress them a bit. If a spare tank is available, fill that with tank water from where they are and put em in there. Draining out part of the water will make it easier to get to the rocks anyways.