40 Gallon Breeder Stand DIY

zoidberg

I'm making a stand for my 40 gallon breeder (soon to be reef tank). Only thing I have left is to make the doors, cut the holes for the doors and to paint. Does anyone have any input on making doors? I made a pathetic attempt at making a door but I'm not happy on how it came out.

As of Now.....
DSC00128.jpg

Before I put the sides on
DSC00118.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

My pathetic attempt at a door (not nailed together). Don't look at it too long, it might burn your eyes
DSC00125.jpg

Last edited:
You must have made that after i came over. That door looks just like a normal door on a fish tank. I dont see why you wouldnt like it. Try painting it and seeing how you like it. I think it looks fine. Just look at your 55 gallon doors. Or just wait like you said for some old cabinet doors.

catran

Nice stand! The door looks just like the one I have on my stand. Looks good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoidberg

Looks good to me

Thanks

You must have made that after i came over. That door looks just like a normal door on a fish tank. I dont see why you wouldnt like it. Try painting it and seeing how you like it. I think it looks fine. Just look at your 55 gallon doors. Or just wait like you said for some old cabinet doors.

I made it on sunday, I finished sanding and built the door. I didnt have any 1 x 4's, so I just cut the 2 x 4's down the middle. Yeah I will paint it and see how it looks. If I do like it I will make one more, so there will be two doors in front.

Nice stand! The door looks just like the one I have on my stand. Looks good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I kinda of cheated and got the idea for the door from the basic aqueon stand that you see at any fish store.

PIMPALA

i would make the whole front panel removable, and held in place with clips or magnets. the bigger the opening, the better!!!

That stand looks so awesome. I would not guess its DIY. Do you have handles on the doors? Or are you going to leave them bare? Oh and i see what you mean by your overflow being so small, can you get better pics of it? It seems like it will do the job for now. Ill see if i can come over this weekend and see it. But still, looks great!

zoidberg

Thanks. I did buy handles before finishing the stand. Now that the stand is finished, the handles don't go with the stand. It does need handles but just not the ones I bought. Not a big deal can add them anytime. I will take pictures of the overflow tomorrow after work and post them.

ChrisOaty

in the second picture it looks like the tank is resting on the bottom glass. perhaps i'm wrong. but i'm positive the tank should have all its weight under the plastic rim which directs most of its weight on the vertical pieces of glass. I don't mean to be too critical, (i think of it as cautious) and i hope i'm wrong, but i think it's better to catch any mistakes in engineering before 300+ pounds of water, sand, rock, and livestock goes in.

zoidberg

I agree and I think your right but I thought of that when I was building it. The inner part of the tank bottom where the plastic overlaps is laying on the stand. The outer part of the plastic trim is supported by the 1/2" Plywood which is screwed into the 2x4 frame. It kind of locks the tank in place. I didn't like the flush look of the tank meeting the stand so then I added the molding on the top and bottom of the stand.

ChrisOaty

good deal. i just finished building a stand last weekend for my new 40breeder and i did something similar. i still have to tack on the moulding but i can throw some pics up later tonight. you really dont want any weight on that inner part at all, as it will transfer stress to that bottom pane of glass. i built my whole stand out of 3/4" plywod. the tank literally sits on the edge of it. i tacked in strips of wood to the inner edge sitting about 1/4" higher than the stand to do the same thing as you did, essentially "locking in" the tank so it cannot move, but these pieces do not hold any weight.

cyris69

Do you mind posting the frame measurements? I'm looking to build one for my new tank and was wondering how much material I should buy as well as the lengths of the boards used. It only looks like there are 3 different length 2x4's used by any chance could you let me know.

cyris69

Cost me only 22$ can't believe it! Granted the wood spray paint cost 10 so 32 bucks is a hell of a deal and only an hour of my time.