40 Gallon Breeder Reef Tank

zoidberg

Hey everyone, I'm been out of the hobby for about a year. I'm starting back up again and would like everyone's opinion. I want to do a reef setup with about 50 pounds or more of live rock. I picked up a 40 gallon breeder tank from Petco with the $1 per gallon sale. I'm going to build my own stand and eventually a hood. I got a ton of ideas offline for the stand. For the equipment, I'm looking at the Aqueon sumps. I know they are a bit pricey, but you have to admit they are kind of nice. I was looking at proflex model 2 and put a refugium in the middle and will still leave room for a protein skimmer and return pump in the last chamber. I'm thinking model 1 wouldn't have enough room for a skimmer. The skimmers I have in mind are the Eshopps PSK-75 in sump, Eshopps s-120 cone, or Coralife 65. I really like the Eshopps Cone skimmer. Now for lighting. I don't know if I want to go with halides or just T5's. I was looking at the Aquaticlife 36" RS7, the Aquaticlife 6 Lamp T5 light or the Aquaticlife 4 lamp T5 light. :)bow:If you can't tell I'm a fan of Aquaticlife and there products:bow:) I'm hoping I won't need a chiller but I will cross that road when I come to it. So what does everyone think so far?