Search results

1. S

Phosphate Reactor and Calcium Reactor

I have a 240 gallon mixed reef and am thinking of purchasing a Phosphate Reactor and a Calcium Reactor. I am wondering what ones you would recomend/use and how to set them up properly. Thanks.
  2. S

Where to buy big clams?

I bought a 6" deresa clam at a fish store fo $40. Now i want more. So i bought a little crocea and he is nothing compared to the monster so would like to be able to purchase a few more big ones. All of the online sites sell 2" ones, does anyone know where i can buy big clams from? does anyone...
  3. S

purple long tentacle

Randomly went small and looks as if it is burrowing in the sand. Have had it in there for a month and has looked great. Came home from school and it was good as gold, then i came back an hour later to find it looking really small. Why is this?
  4. S

Sand-sifting gobies

Are they good or bad for your tank? I heard they ruin your anarobic bacteria in your sand. Is this true?
  5. S

Clam Parasite

My clam has what looks like a small starfish and two little white curly things on the shell. Is this bad?
  6. S

Surface Scum

I have a 240 gallon mixed reef aquarium. I have a big SWC 250 Xtreme skimmer and a 75 gallon sump/fuge with plenty of macro in it. I don't over feed and I still have surface scum, I will admit my powerheads don't stir up the water surface that much, but I am afraid to move them and mess up the...
  7. S

Fairy Wrasses

I have a 240 gallon mixed reef set up and have just recently bought, what i think is a pylei super male! And am now eager to get some more wrasses and probably a female for m pylei. any suggestions? My LFS carries some nice looking rhomboids and flames so i am thinking about both of those. Any...
  8. S

What kind of nem is this?

I bought a gorgeous rbta off of my favorite LFS and noticed these two little guys on the rock as well. The tank he had them in had several rose nems but nothing like this that was visible. They are kind of green with purple tips. Long tentacle anemone? Tried putting a pic up but the file was too...
  9. S

Fuge lighting

Currently i am running t5's on my fuge but i want to cut down on my electricitty bill. can i run leds? or are they not strong enough? any other suggestions?
  10. S

Help!

All of my rock colapsed this morning, and corals are moved around. They dont look damaged, but im sure they will be stressed. I am not sure what to do. Take out all of the rock and place it so it is very stable? Or just use the semi unstable base that already stands?
  11. S

Debri in water

To me it looks like there are litte grains of sand floating around in my water. i thought my stingray was the problem, so i put him in a friends tank to see if the problem changed. still not better. was wondering what this could be and how to fix it. i am already running carbon on the tank. the...
  12. S

Cleaner Wrasse

I have been considering purchasing a cleaner wrasse for my tangs. I heard that when they take these wrasses out of the wild it kills a lot of fish in the wild, so I was wondering if there was a sufficient replacement. They are all big tangs exept for my blue which is about 2 inches the rest are 7+
  13. S

Feeding

I have a retteri and have 3 400w pendants. i fed him a silverside today and he took it and ate if from what i could see. Should i feed him everyday or is that overkill?
  14. S

Lighting Requirements

If i want to correctly take care of/propogate all corals sps, lps, zoos, mushrooms should i have lunar lights? Currents i have 3 400w pendants with 20k bulbs on a 8ft 240 gallon tank. Should i get actinics for the day and lunars for at night? And how long should i run them? i have heard it is...
  15. S

Fish Suggestions

Hey i have a 240 gallon reef set up currently with a sailfin, dussemieri, and two cardinals. Would like to know what would be cool to add. Thanks
  16. S

First Coral Question

I have a 240 gallon tank that i am wanting to be a reef. Currently i have a dussemiere, sailfin, and 3 cardinals in there. I know that mushrooms and zoos are probably the hardiest, and other good corals to start out with?
  17. S

Sump/Fuge Question.

My sump/refugium is really messy and i was wondering if i could put some snails in there. Or would they eat all of my macro algae?
  18. S

UV Sterilizer

I am looking to purchase a UV sterilizer because all the information online tells me that it will significantly boost the health of my fish. I have a 240 gallon tank with 70 gallon sump/fuge. In my fuge I have a SWC 250 Xtreme skimmer and in my fuge i have about 20lbs of live rock with macro...
  19. S

Canopy Fans

Does anyone have experience with in canopy fans? I am looking to purchase 4 aquarium fans not only because there are giant holes in my canopy but because my water temperature is at 80 degrees and it isnt even summer yet. Will fans drastically bring down my temperature? Or just a little? Which...
  20. S

Cycling with shrimp

In order to cycle my tank with a deli shrimp how long should i leave it in there? i have always cycled with live fish so i dont know how this dead fish thing works :p should i just leave it there until the water tests good?