UV Sterilizer

swimfest

I am looking to purchase a UV sterilizer because all the information online tells me that it will significantly boost the health of my fish. I have a 240 gallon tank with 70 gallon sump/fuge. In my fuge I have a SWC 250 Xtreme skimmer and in my fuge i have about 20lbs of live rock with macro growing in there. I have about 220 lbs of live rock total. Will a sterilizer work miracles? if so which one?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I am looking to purchase a UV sterilizer because all the information online tells me that it will significantly boost the health of my fish.

Great advertising.

...I have a 240 gallon tank with 70 gallon sump/fuge. In my fuge I have a SWC 250 Xtreme skimmer and in my fuge i have about 20lbs of live rock with macro growing in there. I have about 220 lbs of live rock total.

Are you having any problems without one?

Will a sterilizer work miracles? if so which
one?

Only if you believe it will and you click your heels together 3 times while installing it.

swimfest

i am not having any problems with out one, but i dont want to get a problem and then have to buy one if that makes sence.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
IMHHO you're better off working at maintaining optimal water quality and not fooling with a UV. Honestly some people swear by them, some say they used one with no obvious benefit and some (like me) have never even used one.

seafansar

I had one that came with my tank. I don't think it helped. Just ate up more energy and my energy bill is too high as it is, so I gave it away. I don't think you need one.