Cycling with shrimp

swimfest

In order to cycle my tank with a deli shrimp how long should i leave it in there? i have always cycled with live fish so i dont know how this dead fish thing works :p should i just leave it there until the water tests good?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Some people leave it forever and ever (that's how I do it) and some people will put it into a medi bag/netting material and remove the exoskeleton once it's "Done". Depending on the size of tank, quality of rock, and other factors it may decay/breakdown quickly or it may take a while and possibly more than one.

I just leave it in there now and test my water. When NH3/NH4 spike AND NO2 Spikes then drops that's when I test NO3 and start doing some hefty water changes.

That's my
My2cents.gif

swimfest

nice touch at the end with the 2 cents hahaha ok i have a 240 gallon with a 75 gallon sump/fuge. i dont have much live rock in there now but will be getting about 200#'s this weekend. I have had 300#'s of live sand in there with water for about a week. i also have been starting to grow some macro in my fuge. good/bad?

RegalAngel

Come out of the cave and see the light.....STABILITY.

1. Add fish;
2. Add Stability for 7 days;
3. Done.

Yes, I use it mainly for QT startup and use from time to time.
IT WORKS!

"Stability® will rapidly and safely establish the aquarium biofilter in freshwater and marine systems, thereby preventing the #1 cause of fish death: "new tank syndrome". Stability® is formulated specifically for the aquarium and contains a synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria which facilitate the breakdown of waste organics, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Unlike competing products, the bacteria employed by Stability® are non-sulfur fixing and will not produce toxic hydrogen sulfide. Stability® is completely harmless to all aquatic organisms as well as aquatic plants, thus there is no danger of over use. Stability® is the culmination of nearly a decade of research and development and represents the current state of the art in natural biological management.

Sizes: 50 mL, 100 mL, 250 mL, 500 mL, 2 L, 4 L, 20 L

Why It's Different
Illustration of Stability's™ bacteria on biofiltration material. stability contains a synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria
The bacteria used in competing products are inherently unstable. The conditions necessary for their growth and development fall into a very narrow range of temperatures, pH, organic loads, etc. When any of these parameters are not strictly within the proper range, the bacterial culture quickly crashes and dies. Stability® does not contain any of the aforementioned bacteria.

The bacteria strains in Stability® have been in development for over a decade. The necessary conditions for growth of our bacterial strains encompass a very broad range. When other bacteria begin to die off (usually from high organic loads caused by the undetected death of an organism), Stability® simply works harder and grows faster! The strains function in fresh or saltwater. Stability® contains both nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria, a blend found in no other product. Additionally, Stability® contains facultative bacterial strains which are able to adapt to either aerobic or anaerobic conditions. The bacteria in Stability® are non-sulfur fixing, another innovation in the industry. Most other bacterial supplements will form toxic hydrogen sulfide under the proper conditions. Stability® will not, ever. "

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think you're MUCH better off using a Tried and TRUE method rather than "Miracle In a Bottle" :nono:. I to use Stability but to be honest didn't trust it so I added a "Seeded" filter pad AND the deli shrimp.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
nice touch at the end with the 2 cents hahaha ok i have a 240 gallon with a 75 gallon sump/fuge. i dont have much live rock in there now but will be getting about 200#'s this weekend. I have had 300#'s of live sand in there with water for about a week. i also have been starting to grow some macro in my fuge. good/bad?

You'll want as much of your Live Rock in there during the cycle because it's the Live Rock that gets colonized by the beneficial bacteria.