Search results

1. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

cyano problem

at this time I have a small outbreak of cyano in my tank. it's not a large mass but bunch of small masses about the size of a dime right now and some smaller. How can I get rid of it. I will try and get pics within the next day or so and post. 55 gal ph 8.2 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 sg...
  2. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

brown algae trying to over take my tank

I know my cuc is low, but i'm on a extremely tight budget, so I have to buy extremely slow, now if someone can give me a general idea how many need to be in the cuc, that will help me. the t8 lights is brand new 10k tubes that was purchased on nov 3, 2011. as far as filtration goes, only a...
  3. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

tank benn ruuning as a sw for over a year, the light is t8 i'm gonna try and get t5's next year
  4. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

hey everyone goong thru a rough time

hey everyone at RS, I know it's been awhile, first off got married october 8, and then on october 12 got bad news that I have throat cancer. going thru radiation treatments and chemo. so my tank on a holding pattern with 2 damsels, a few hermit crabs, and 1 snail. I will try be around when...
  5. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

I have a 55 that is slowly becoming a fowlr, at this time I have between 9 - 13 lb of lr in it right now. the open area of the sand with no lr, the top of the sand is covered in brown algae. some stats: ph > 8.2 nh3/nh4 > 0 no2 > 0 no3 > 5.0 ca2 > 420 lighting 10K 18" x2 have a protien...
  6. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

working fowlr in progress

it's been awhile since i posted because of no internet, over at a friend and posting this. My 55 had gone from a FW to BW and to FOWLR. At this time not much in there except for about 12 lbs of LR, 1 Blue devil, 1 snail and 2 red leg hermits. I still have more work to do on this tank like...
  7. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

Figure 8 Puffer with sunken belly

I had notice today that one of my figure 8's belly is sunken in. The other figure 8 and my two knight gobies are fine and eating. just this one figure 8 he's not eating at all and he would swim around off and on and rest of the time he stays at the bottom of the tank. What would cause this and...
  8. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

need input building a simple FOWLR tank

I decided to turn my 55 into a simple FOWLR tank. This process will be slow, currently my tank is brackish with SG setting between 1.015 - 1.019. My only concern is filtration, currently running filtration equipment when this tank was a freshwater. Should I build a sump for a FOWLR tank, this...
  9. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

question on puffer's and brackish water

well i had purchase 2 Knight Gobies yesterday. as far as the puffers goes, the 2 figure 8 and the 2 gsp love blood worms the most. and snack on a few snails when they come out of hiding in my 55.
  10. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

question on puffer's and brackish water

I have 2 figure 8 puffers and 2 green spotted puffers. the SG is 1.010. I need to know what are different foods do these guys eat, my lfs says plankton and I know snails also, but what other food will they eat, either freeze dried or frozen. I decided to maintain my 55 as a BW tank. Thinking...
  11. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

looking for idea's for a canister mod

lily pipes both intake and exhaust do look good, and i have to agree with you DaveK, the price is bit high for glass tubes. but it did got me thinking that since i don't know crap about working with glass, that probably make something like that with PVC. but to get the bends in the pipe I would...
  12. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

this isn't for my future reef tank it will have a sump/fuge. this is for my fw tank.
  13. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

I guess no one has any idea's for a DIY mod for a canister. or if my idea could be duable especially the spray bar. with the spray bar not sure on the diameter to use, like the same size as the output hose or go bigger if so how much. then drilling the bar what size to drill the holes, with the...
  14. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

Stealth Pro Recall?

My LFS had stopped selling them because customers was bringing them back left and right because their tank got fried and even a few tanks at the lfs that was using them had fried 5 of their tank, and they had informed marineland of the problem 3 weeks ago.
  15. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

Sinister 55g FW build

question on digital thermometer probe, where should this be at in the aquarium. my heater is in the dead center running vertically and right now the probe is about a foot from the heater with the probe itself facing away from the heater. I'm not sure I have this place in the tank to give me...
  16. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

Sinister 55g FW build

it's 12 x 36 x 19 3/4
  17. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

This is still being planned. I was wondering if there can be a mod made for the intake side of the canister, like using a internal overflow with PVC in a U shape. with the down tube be about 1 to 2 times bigger in diameter than the intake tubing that goes to the canister and then at the bottom...
  18. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

have multiple questions that i'm seeking answers to

it's not me that has this problem, it's a friend, and his infestation isn't mst but pond snails. I believe I had taken care of the problem, did a complete tear down on his tank, and he had a piece of drift wood in there that was filled with egg sacs, it's been about 2 weeks now an he says that...
  19. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

Sinister 55g FW build

ok it's been awhile since i had posted any pics and/or videos of my tank. The video of my 55 was taken between week to 2 weeks ago, and I can say that my 55 don't have those few Live plants in it now, because the BW with a sg 1.015 had stunt the growth of them and allot of live plants wouldn't...
  20. SiNiStEr NaTiOn

Sinister 55g FW build

Been doing a little expierment this winter with this tank. I had found a way to control breeding mollies. that is by cycling this tank between freshwater and brackish. So at this time the cycling phase is as follow... April to September > Fresh Water October to March > Brackish Water Since my...