Sinister 55g FW build

well things are always changing with this tank. lol

I'm gonna get my 75 going hopefully within the first half of 2011 and it will be a brackish tank and I'll use my DIY sump on it and this 55 will be changed to a nursery. I decided to do something that i use to love and that's breeding mollies.

So when I do start the 75 adventure I'm not sure where to post the build since there's no brackish water forums here in RS. the 55 will be FW since LFS sells mollies in FW, while my main Mollie tank will be BW, and any young i decide to keep then they will be acclimated to the BW tank.

while the above plans is still on hold. thought give everyone a little update on this Mollie only tank

Live Stock

4 chocolate sail fin (3 males, 1 female)
2 Dalmatian (female)
2 silver (females)
4 cremecickle (3 females (1 of them is high fin with lyre tail), 1 sail fin male)
1 calico (male)
7 Yucatan (3 males, 4 females)

The water cycling on the main Mollie tank will be cycled, while the nursery tank will be FW all the time. Now the water cycling will be spring & summer the tank will be FW, then in autumn and winter the tank will be cycled to BW where it will maintain a sg of 1.010 - 1.018. If your wondering why the FW to BW cycle, it's because with the SG of at least 1.010, the brackish condition stunt plant growth until the FW cycle, and it also help to control the mollies breeding. for those that's not aware mollies can live in full strength sea water.

If anyone is wondering how I'm checking the salinity gravity, I do own a refractometer that I bought couple of months ago. There is one question I need to ask.

with my tank in BW which test kit should i use? Should I continue using the FW test kit or should i use a SW test kit. with the FW kit the ammonia test clouds up pretty thick, once i add the ammonia test solution to the vial.

Been doing a little expierment this winter with this tank. I had found a way to control breeding mollies. that is by cycling this tank between freshwater and brackish. So at this time the cycling phase is as follow...

April to September > Fresh Water
October to March > Brackish Water

Since my tank been in brackish mode 1 to 3 females out of 10 be fully pregnant every 2 or 3 months. where in fresh water it was like every month. Since December I have about 60 - 75 babies, they are in a 5 gallon tank which is freshwater. Before anyone says anything about the tank size I already know. I'm working on getting a 38 gallon tank to be use for a nursery instead of the 5 gallon.

the babies I have some solid blacks. 1 dalmatian, and quite a few that is black body with silver belly. with these young that is black body with a silver belly, would anyone know what they could be. they look like creme sickle instead of orange upper body it's black.

PEMfish

Sometimes the babies will grow into nice looking adult fish, ones worth having, but others, they get to be a pain in the ass, in which case they make good fish food for larger fish, and help them grow into nice looking adults.

ok it's been awhile since i had posted any pics and/or videos of my tank. The video of my 55 was taken between week to 2 weeks ago, and I can say that my 55 don't have those few Live plants in it now, because the BW with a sg 1.015 had stunt the growth of them and allot of live plants wouldn't make it this far. So I'm left to use artificial plants (yuck).

here's a video of my 55 Mollie tank.....

YouTube - Mollie Main Tank

currently I'm using a 5 gallon tank for the fry tank, while I'm working on getting a 38 gallon tank to be use as a nursery tank.

YouTube - mollie fry tank

question on digital thermometer probe, where should this be at in the aquarium. my heater is in the dead center running vertically and right now the probe is about a foot from the heater with the probe itself facing away from the heater. I'm not sure I have this place in the tank to give me accurate temp reading. I think my water is little bit warmer than the thermometer is saying.