brown algae trying to over take my tank

I have a 55 that is slowly becoming a fowlr, at this time I have between 9 - 13 lb of lr in it right now. the open area of the sand with no lr, the top of the sand is covered in brown algae.

some stats:

ph > 8.2
nh3/nh4 > 0
no2 > 0
no3 > 5.0
ca2 > 420

lighting 10K 18" x2
have a protien skimmer running

live stock :

1 narssarius snail (sorry if missed spelled)
2 red legged hermit
1 blue legged hermit
1 blue damsel
1 yellow tail damsel

I know my live stock not allot but have to work with what my budget allows each month.

I would like to get rid of the brown algae, and get corraline to grow.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
New tank? What type of florescent lighting? T5 I assume?

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Just a couple of quick suggestions, you don't have much live rock, adding additional will help. Second I would beef up the cleaning crew as well. John at reefcleaners.org has great prices on CUC and he also has dry rock that will become live after a little while in your tank.

PIMPALA

What type of filtration do you have?

How old are your bulbs?

Like said... For sure not enough rock, and not even close to enough CUC. Even though your bio load is small from a light stocking, you still need a good CUC for algae control. Like... At least 10 times what you have now. lol

I know my cuc is low, but i'm on a extremely tight budget, so I have to buy extremely slow, now if someone can give me a general idea how many need to be in the cuc, that will help me.

the t8 lights is brand new 10k tubes that was purchased on nov 3, 2011. as far as filtration goes, only a protein skimmer running and what little lr in the tank. I do have big plans for this 55, and hoping to meet those goals during the last half of 2012.

steved13

PREMIUM
Here's a good suggestion:ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Quick Crew (55 Gallon)

51 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

21 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

20 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

15 Large and 13 Small to Medium Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week

ReeferJ

what are you feeding your fish? do you have powerheads? what brand/model skimmer are you using? - there are many cheap skimmers out there that just down right suck and are a waste of money.

Using tapwater?

are you siphoning the sandbed? I know its hard to with sand but it is truly a must

sounds like its cyano bacteria