Search results

1. F

Hospital Tank/Ich Rx

Interesting!...Did you use this sg in only a QT? I'm assuming it wasn't in a display tank with inverts?
  2. F

Hospital Tank/Ich Rx

Hmmm?....Maybe a third experimental tank with hyposalinity only....However I don't think that very many (if any) of our fish suitable for reef tanks could withstand a SG of less than 1.017, much less 1.009 as I believe this is approaching sub-brackish conditions, as pertaining to aquaria...
  3. F

Hospital Tank/Ich Rx

This is an extremely interesting thread...There is an lfs near me that is known for not keeping very healthy fish (not really sure how they stay in business)....I think for my satisfaction... And I'm sure I'll be frowned on by some for doing this. But, I am going to purchase 2-4 fish (that...
  4. F

Hospital Tank/Ich Rx

I would have to agree that nothing added as a medication is "truly" reef safe. However, I personally have not had any problems the two times I used this product. Metronidazole was just my choice, not only antibiotics will kill Tomites, pretty much anything deemed useful for this purpose...
  5. F

Nitrate Reducing Filters

Have you thought about somehow incorporating some macros....IMO these are the best thing on the planet for reducing nitrates...And they're cheap!
  6. F

Coralline Algae Help!!!!!!!!

I wasn't satisfied with the coraline growth within my tank (the rate it was growing), and wanted more of the flourecent green you were speaking of...Had plenty of pink and purple...My LFS suggested adding "Coral-Vital" (a Marc Weiss product)...within two weeks I could see significant coraline...
  7. F

Hospital Tank/Ich Rx

Well, being in the medical field I'm really not a big "follower" of Flagyl as pertaining to humans. Studies have shown that large bolus dosages in laboratory rats can lead to liver dysfunction...Hmmm, I don't keep rats anyway.....But as far as Ich on my fish...I'm sold!
  8. F

Been Lurking in the shadows

Thanks.....Yes, Everything was done by me...Trial and error....Mostly Error :rolleyes:
  9. F

Hospital Tank/Ich Rx

Agreed...When we can't/won't learn anything else about this hobby....It's time to quit. I didn't intend to come across as the new guy spouting off. Which after re-reading my post, is what it sounded like to me. :willis: Great site by the way... There's obviously alot of knowledge and...
  10. F

Hospital Tank/Ich Rx

I too have used this (in it's powder form) added directly to the tank in a high flow area upon the suggestion of a parasitologist...The use of this in post #16 refers to use in humans. I didn't intend to assert that antibiotics in general would aid in this, just that the active and/or inert...
  11. F

Hospital Tank/Ich Rx

I must respectfully disagree.... Metronidazole (flagyl...Which is indeed an antibiotic when used in us humanoid type organisms)) or any other medication inteneded for this use (having been proven reef safe of course) will kill Cryptocaryon and/or Oodinium Tomites. Since it's impractical...
  12. F

Inclinations of a no-filter media system.

What you're describing is a refugium...Good choice in my opinion! A refugium.. On a smaller scale of course, is how nature handles nutrients..i.e., the seagrass beds associated with all natural reefs. I would stay away from the bio-balls...they can become nitrate factories...
  13. F

Actually right now I only have pc lighting 2x96w 10k with 2x65w actinics. But 2x250w MH with 2x96w pc actinics is in the works. My pipe organ was about midway in the tank, and was fully extended all of the time. I relocated it a little higher and it doesn't seem to be as happy...I'm going...
  14. F

So would an Ice cold Beer!! :drooool: Or even a semi cool beer....LOL
  15. F

Well, let's see if I did this right. Had to go in and resize the pic. Apparently 100k is the limit. This is a pic of it...But it wasn't quite finished yet. There's quite a bit more macros in the fuge and the coral has matured quite a bit. My hands shake to much to take a good pic. :)
  16. 120g w/55g fuge

120g w/55g fuge

17. F

There are many of these forums about. So far I've found 2 that seem worth my time. This being one of them from what I've read so far. I've raised African and SA cichlids for many years and about a year or so ago decided to go SW. Started out to be a FOWLR but before the tank even finished...