Search results

1. J

What annoys you

the most annoying thing to me in the hobby or in general is not having moderate funding to buy some of the things i want, like corals and fish, or anything for that matter lol
  2. J

$$$$$ to maintain

I keep track of it on my iPhone. It ranges from 10 to 50 a month depending if I buy anything tank related or just to water from the store
  3. J

astrea snails dying?

i measure the salinity with a cheap hydrometer, can't afford the refractometer now, i can barely afford to buy salt LOL. its 1.025-1.026 and it stays consistant temp is 78-79 day/night ammonia 0 nitraite 0 nitrate 0 phosphates .1 ppm calcium 450 ish (no corals or anything, no additives)...
  4. J

astrea snails dying?

i have about 6 astrea snails in my tank, they have been in for 2 weeks or so now, been happy muching on algae all day for most the time up until now, they start falling off the rocks daily, so i turn them over so they can keep moving, but they fall again, eventually they either die or the...
  5. J

RockWork

for a cheap acrylic/plastic rod head to the home improvement store for a replacement wand for window blinds, i picked one up for 2 buck its about 2.5 feet long and is about 3/8'' thick should work real good for holding some rocks together with epoxy and good for holding corals
  6. J

When night falls

i find my clown by my serpent star when the lights go out, and he is missing some tips of his legs, my clownfish is a man eater, so i moved the star into my little acclimation tank since there is no predators lol
  7. J

Ro water a Snobish ideal ???????????????????????

When I first got in the hobby I never used anything but tap water through my brita pitcher. I never had any quality or algae problems. When I moved to new jersey the tap water I used I had outbreaks of cyano and hair algae continuously. I moved back to Michigan no more cyano outbreak. In my...
  8. J

Setting up first reef

Don't mix the salt in the tank mix it in a bucket first. It's not a big deal since the tank is empty now but just for future reference.
  9. J

what's an acceptable TDS reading

Personnally I never used to use to water. I just used filtered tap water. In Michigan I never had a problem with my water quality and my fish is over 7 years old. When I moved to jersey I always had outbreaks of cyano, which I can only attest to something in the filtered tap water I used, moved...
  10. J

best looking fish

I love clowns. But another cool fish is a juvenile sweet lips the one that looks like a clown so pretty just get way to big.
  11. J

RockWork

Borrowed a bottle from church huh. Watch out for lightning LOL
  12. J

RockWork

wat brand of expoxy do you guys use, and where do you get it (home depot, lowes etc?? i want to go buy some but i want to make sure its reef safe first. also any places to source acrylic rods for holding rocks, not the airline tubing, i think that would be too weak to hold rocks suspended...
  13. J

RockWork

haha this thread made me just redo my rock scape minutes ago lol. now it should be a lot more coral freindly, i will post up some pics when i get my camera back. i just need to get some of the epoxy to hold a couple rocks so they don't fall
  14. J

Clowns resting

My clown lays on the sand in the front corner of the tank and sleeps all night. Sometimes he moves the sand around to make a little hole To sleep in LOL
  15. J

my aquapod adventure

also does anyone have a nice link to setting up a sump, maybe some pics and info on overflows and return pumps, plumbing the system, anything. i have been searching a lot but not finding much that really helps. thanks, Jared
  16. J

my aquapod adventure

well finally the ammonia went down to zero and i moved my clown over to his new mansion. so far everything is good to go. he seems pretty happy swims around a lot more, but only next to the glass mostly. he doesn't go in the middle near the rocks at all. i think he is scared of them lol. i...
  17. J

The problem with DSBs

interesting, well in my newly setup tank (24g ap) i kinda went in a mix of both i guess. i bought a big bag of argonite and its a corse grain and i used that about 1-1.5'' at the bottom of the tank, i also had some live sand i used on top of the big stuff so i have a somewhat deep sand bed...
  18. J

Which brand of SALT do you use???

i use IO since it was always available at the local stores, pretty cheap, and i never had a problem with it
  19. J

my aquapod adventure

i did my first mod to my tank today, since the tank has no real mechanical filtration in it i noticed the surface of the water had so stuff floating on it, the hole left side (facing it) is open in the back for water to go through to the pumps and i had a filter pad in there to keep floating...
  20. J

Octopus reef dream 350 galon

that is just amazing