RockWork

What's the best live rock and why(you can add in your comments)

• Tonga

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Fiji

Votes: 64 61.5%
  • Marshall island

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Cook island

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Caribbean

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Fake rocks

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Can i use less than 1LB/Gallon yes (why; answer in respond)

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Can i use less than 1LB/Gallon no (why; answer in respond)

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Barebottom is great

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Deep sand bed

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Coarse sand bed

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Fine sand bed

Votes: 28 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

A nightmare

Anybody want to see a cleaning nightmare

cool-aquarium.jpg

Clean this up in 15 minutes, pronto LOL

Paul B

I collected all my rock myself and it is easy that way because you can get large pieces for free. Of course that is not legal anymore so now I would rather build it than buy it. Not only for the money, I just like my home made rock better. I usually build it with a PVP pipe backbone so it is hollow. Hollow rock does wonders for converting nitrates which I have none.
The rock is also larger than I could have shipped or afford.
I am sure you could not tell which rocks I collected and which I built, I don't even remember with many of them.
cleantank001.jpg

I have been tempted to use PVC or hollow rockwork. but I was scared away by the huge 6 foot bristle worm stories. have you ever ran into any problems with the hollow pipes or rocks paul?

Paul B

I have been tempted to use PVC or hollow rockwork. but I was scared away by the huge 6 foot bristle worm stories. have you ever ran into any problems with the hollow pipes or rocks paul?

No I never had problems with bristleworms. The rock just to the right and over the Idol is hollow and there are a few more in there.

CopyofDSC00922.jpg

Basile

I didn't realize how boring my scape was. Those are some sweet scape.

Now you know why i started this thread;i mean for me, the first pictures are from my own disater lol. So by surffing alot i found great scape to share. Hope to inspire people to try new thing, including me haha . Which i will. My next tank will be a 65 g. thats all i can put in my place, but it will have a much improve scape i can promise you that. thank for your comments and keep those pics comming if you have interesting desing you find while surfing.The best would of course having this thread as a sticky...hopefully.:clink:

jared

Now you know why i started this thread;i mean for me, the first pictures are from my own disater lol. So by surffing alot i found great scape to share. Hope to inspire people to try new thing, including me haha . Which i will. My next tank will be a 65 g. thats all i can put in my place, but it will have a much improve scape i can promise you that. thank for your comments and keep those pics comming if you have interesting desing you find while surfing.The best would of course having this thread as a sticky...hopefully.:clink:

haha this thread made me just redo my rock scape minutes ago lol.

now it should be a lot more coral freindly, i will post up some pics when i get my camera back.

i just need to get some of the epoxy to hold a couple rocks so they don't fall

rmlevasseur

Hey thanks for your contribution, nice picture; hope others will do the same and show us their work, instead of just saying what they've done. When you upgrade take pics of your work in progress and post it here. :whstlr:

Just follow the link! BTW, someone made the comment that base rock doesn't need to be cured, but much of my rock was Marco and the crap it released while I was curing it was incredible. The water was black. That type of rock can have a lot of dead organics still in the rock.

jared

wat brand of expoxy do you guys use, and where do you get it (home depot, lowes etc?? i want to go buy some but i want to make sure its reef safe first.

also any places to source acrylic rods for holding rocks, not the airline tubing, i think that would be too weak to hold rocks suspended like some of these photos.

Basile

wat brand of expoxy do you guys use, and where do you get it (home depot, lowes etc?? i want to go buy some but i want to make sure its reef safe first.

also any places to source acrylic rods for holding rocks, not the airline tubing, i think that would be too weak to hold rocks suspended like some of these photos.

Hey thats great , you where inspired by all this ; cool. As for epoxy or putty i would stick with your local fish stores for that. I myself think that the ones at Home Depot or Low ...could be made , not specifically for saltwater tank, thats my advice. Oh the rods mmmh don't know sorry, Lyn or some of the others would know ask them.