Search results

1. D

Injured p.clown

Hey all, A few days ago I noticed that my female clown had stopped eating and was moping around the same spot in the tank all day. She still moves to her 'nem at night, but during the day hangs out in one spot under an arch. I have noticed some discoloration on one of her flanks, and I was...
  2. D

Using silicon in a "wet zone"

Hey all.... I'd like to add a baffle extension to my sump/fuge. The extension is to make one of the walls higher than it currently is. In order to do so I need to stop the flow over this wall.... Not really an issue here. So I turn of the pump and let the water settle below the desired joint...
  3. D

Big bully

Hey all, I've had my current 5 fish in my tank for over 6 months now, with no recent additions. Up until now, all fish have got along 'swimmingly' (excuse the pun) Just in the last couple of days, i noticed my green-blue chromis was missing, and after a quick search, found him sulking in a...
  4. D

half a 'nem

Hey all. one of my 'nems had a run-in with a power-head yesterday. I pulled him out, and he was in bad shape. I put the two mushed up pieces onto a piece of LR and both gripped on, so I figured I'd leave them to try and recover. 24 hours later, and one half is looking ok, and I think will make...
  5. D

Lost a claw

Hi all, I've had a cbs in quarantine for the last 6 weeks and was about to introduce him into my DT when he got into a tangle with the base of the powerhead in the QT and ended up ripping one of his claw arms off. So my question is, shall I wait for his arm to grow back before introducing him to...
  6. D

How often to CBS molt?

Hey all, I've had a CBS in my QT for about 5 weeks now, and last night he molted for the 2nd time! Just wondering how often they molt? cheers
  7. D

Cant tell if cleaner wrasse is eating

Hi all, I've had a cleaner wrasse in my qt for the last month, however I'm not sure I've ever seen him eat. I've been feeding brine shrimp and baby brine shrimp, however he never seems to touch the adult brineys. He swims around in the cloud of food a bit, but I cant tell if he's eating the...
  8. D

Temperature and bio-filtration

Hi all, Just wondering what affect temperature has on bio-filtration. I have a quarantine tank which has been empty (of livestock) for quite a few weeks now. I turned off the heater so as not to waste electricity, so the tank has been sitting at about 15 degrees. Would this have had any...
  9. D

unhappy cleaner wrasse

Hi all, I acquired a new cleaner wrasse on the w/e and put him into my QT. On the first day he swam and ate well, but since then, he has just sat on the tank bottom looking unhappy. He dousnt really move when touched, but if pushed around a bit, he will move to a different location to settle...
  10. D

Removing 'nem - smell

Hi all, I'm sure all you nem owners have noticed the strong 'musty' smell you get on your hands after handling a 'nem. I've also noticed that there is almost no way to get the smell off! Hot/Cold water, soap, washing up detergent. Nothing seems to remove it! Does anyone know how to get that...
  11. D

Fin-Rot

Hi all, I am currently treating my coral beauty in my QT for ich (using cupramine). He has also had a bit of a case of what i believe is fin-rot on his tail. The tail is not frayed, but a large part of it is almost grey-white in colour and quite transparent. Prior to the copper treatment, i...
  12. D

Ich made it through quarantine, somehow.

Hey all.... I'm a little bit devastated right now. I had my first ich disaster a few months ago, and ended up pulling my tank apart to get all the fish into quarantine and treated. Then I left my tank fallow for 8 weeks, before reintroducing my fish. I then started quarantining all fish before...
  13. D

Old meds

Hi all, A few months ago, I was treating my fish for ich, but the LFS was out of cupramine. They put some of theirs in a glass jar for me, which I used and successfully treated my ich. Now, several months later, I am treating a new fish in my QT for ich, and I used the same batch of cupramine...
  14. D

Safe cucumbers

Hi all, I'm interested in getting a cucumber as a substrate cleaner. Most sites specify that SOME species of cucumbers have toxins that can nuke a tank, but none seem to tell you which species do and don't (apart from sea-apples which all agree DO). Can anyone suggest a good species of...
  15. D

pH in a QT

Hi all, I noticed the fish in my qt was quite agitated today and was flashing a bit. I had already suspected ich, and was about to begin copper treatment, and decided to do one last check of the water, only to discover the pH of the tank is about 7.4 instead of my usual 8.4 (in fact it could be...
  16. D

Riccordia in Ichy tank

Hi all, I have gotten myself into a 'ichy' situation. Due to an unfortunate turn of events, I had to move a riccordia into a QT which contains a new fish. (I know... not an ideal situation). I now suspect that the new fish is infected with ich. If this is so, then I have a problem. I don't want...
  17. D

Peacock Rockskipper (Blenny), or Istiblennius meleagris.

Hi all, This is an offshoot of my "checking fish id" thread. Just wondering if anyone has any information on this species, as it appears to be the correct classification of what I thought was a lawnmower blenny. cheers
  18. D

Quarantining a lawnmower

Hi all, I have a new lawnmower blenny (still to confirm id) in my QT, and I'm just wondering what the procedure for quarantining such a critter is. Shall I add some LR into the QT for him to feed/perch on? Perhaps a bowl of live substrate for him to play with? At the moment it is a bare tank...
  19. D

Checking fish id

Hi guys, Here's a fish I am picking up in a private sale tonight. I just want to check his id as a "lawnmower blenny" as opposed to a scooter blenny. Can anyone confirm the id? or as the photo is blurry, tell me how I can positively id him in person? cheers
  20. D

Melafix - dab or dose?

Hi all, I have a fish in quarantine with a bit of damage to his dorsal fin that doesn't seem to want to heal. I figure it is probably a bacterial infection, so I acquired some Melafix to treat it. My question is, shall i dose the QT, as it says on the packet, or shall i net the fish and dab...