half a 'nem

Hey all.
one of my 'nems had a run-in with a power-head yesterday. I pulled him out, and he was in bad shape. I put the two mushed up pieces onto a piece of LR and both gripped on, so I figured I'd leave them to try and recover.
24 hours later, and one half is looking ok, and I think will make it. The other half is in a little puddle in a hard-to-reach back corner of the tank. So my question is... what shall I do about the 'puddle' half? shall I attempt to remove what is left of him, the risk being that he will disintegrate in the net and be blown all over the tank, or... just leave him to decompose, and get cleaned up by the cuc?
I don't want to end up with a tank nuke, so I'm guessing my next move is rather critical.

My tank is 55g + sump, and the disintegrating nem section is about the size of a small oyster.

cheers

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd get that mess out ASAP. Net, siphon or whatever. The more you get out the better off you are.

Also I hope you've made some type of "provisions" to keep the remainder out of your powerheads.

jeeve

Just out of curiosity... what kind of powerhead was it? Are there any "nem safe" powerheads?

it is a koralia-copy power head. I was under the impression that these were fairly 'nem safe, but I guess I was wrong :(

So I decided to risk it and give the 'dying' section another 24 hours, and it seems that I may have been wrong. The section seems to be holding together and has retained its colour. It has been 72 hrs and counting. I am ready to syphon it out if it takes a turn for the worse.

I'll keep you updated.

So, an update....
I left the puddle-o-nem in the corner of the tank, and now several days on, although it still doesn't look great, it has started to inflate a bit, and seems to be attached to the LR! Looks like I may end up with a new 'nem in my tank!
The larger part of the nem seems to be making a great recovery, which I am very happy about.