Injured p.clown

Hey all,
A few days ago I noticed that my female clown had stopped eating and was moping around the same spot in the tank all day. She still moves to her 'nem at night, but during the day hangs out in one spot under an arch. I have noticed some discoloration on one of her flanks, and I was wondering if anyone can give me advice as to what this might be (bruising?) and how to treat it.
He has started "sniffing" at the food, but hasn't eaten any in a few days.

DSC_0241.jpg

cheers

Last edited:

leebca

You say that it is hosting in an anemone? What kind of Anemone is it?

What other livestock do you have in the tank (fish AND invertebrates). What size aquarium do you have?

You say it's a female. Why? Do you have a male? How is the male doing? Does the male host at all in the anemone?

I can't tell for certain from the photo, but what is the length of the fish --that is -- the distance from 'nose' to the base of the tail (not including the tale)?

Do you have a place to move her? Do you have a QT up and running or can you get one up and running to move her into? I would do this for sure.

In general the fish does show having had a run-in with something that has hurt it. With the above information, we might discover more of what might be going on.

Hi Lee, thanks for your time.
To answer your questions,

Yes, she's hosting 2 btas (she randomly choses which)

Its a 3' tank

I say she's a female, because she is one of a pair, and the larger of the 2.
I've had the couple for about a year.

she's about 4 cm from nose to base of tail (approximately)

In the tank are,

1 x cbs
1 x coral beauty
1 x hippo tang (about 6cm)
1 x lawnmower blenny

I know there is a small (3cm) mantis in there too (smasher) which came in as a HH.

All water parameters are stable.

I have a QT, however I cant seem to catch her. She has been hiding out back, and doesn't come out to eat (she hasn't eaten since the last post!) If i go after her with a net, she just hides further. It would take significant tank rearrangement to grab her.

I have noticed her gills on the side of the 'injury' are also very swollen and puffy. I have looked for any visible parasites, and cant see any.

I havent noticed any inhabitants harassing her.

Not sure what I can do :( Any advice appreciated!

leebca

No doubt something is creating one or more stressors on her.

First, you want to get the mantis out. They will eventually get mean and if not kill a fish, they will attack one or more. This will become a major problem for the fish, if it isn't already.

Maybe since you want to remove the mantis and move the Anemonefish into a QT, it is time to dismantle everything to get those two.

In the QT, I'd like to know more about her behavior. Separated from fish and mantis, may be a significant reduction in stress.

Has the fish ever been treated for Brooklynellosis? If not, I would treat her for that, giving no other symptoms.

I'd still like to know how she was interacting with the male before the change in behavior and after the change in behavior.

Hi Lee, no the fish has never been treated for Brooklynellosis.

Her interaction with the male was, non-descript. ie they just hung out together near the bta all day.

Now, during the day she hangs out behind the rocks at the back of the tank, and sometimes comes back to the bta when the lights go out, but other times just sleeps behind the rocks. When she sleeps in the bta, she and the male cuddle up as usual.

leebca

That relationship is very abnormal.

Move her to the QT. Verify water quality. Give her a Formalin treatments for Brook and hope for the best would be my suggestion. It could be that she is not adjusting to captivity or having trouble just in your tank. If she's wild caught then it could be either. If she is tank bred, then there is something not quite right with where she is.

Hey Lee,
Could you please be a little more specific about what is 'abnormal' about their relationship? As for not adjusting to tank life, she was one of my first fish and has always been active and consistent in her behaviour until recently. She has always eaten well, and has not been timid or skittish.

cheers

leebca

A mated pair will interact so that the male remains a male and the female remains the female. These fish change their gender. What maintains their gender is what we might see a bickering or exhibits of dominance.

In mild cases the female will 'pick' on the male. In extreme cases, the female may attack the male so much the male will die.

The adjustment to tank life can take up to a year or more, by some people's reckoning. I have no opinion about this other than it is certainly possible.

How long have you had this fish? When was the last marine life form that was added to this system? Was it quarantined first?