Riccordia in Ichy tank

Hi all,
I have gotten myself into a 'ichy' situation. Due to an unfortunate turn of events, I had to move a riccordia into a QT which contains a new fish. (I know... not an ideal situation). I now suspect that the new fish is infected with ich. If this is so, then I have a problem. I don't want to move the riccordia back into the DT yet, because it has been in the infected tank, and I cant treat the QT with either Hypo or copper because it has the Ric in it. I know it is unlikely that either the ric or the small piece of lr to which it is attached would actually be carrying trophants which could infect the dt, but can I do a fresh water dip or similar to the ric and lr so I can move it out of the qt and back into the DT?
What are my other options?

cheers

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
FW dip wont affect the ICH.

Time is the best treatment but regardless I wouldn't transfer one single molecule from the QT tank to the DT period. I'd do away with the ric before risking the entire DT.

reefsmoker

FW dip wont affect the ICH.

Time is the best treatment but regardless I wouldn't transfer one single molecule from the QT tank to the DT period. I'd do away with the ric before risking the entire DT.

wouldn't it be safe to move the ric back to the DT after the QT ran fallow for 8 weeks?
maybe i've stayed up to late reading threads, but i'm sure somewhere in leebca's threads it's there.

could the ric make it through a hypo treatment? I would usually leave it in a fallow qt for 8 wks, but it has 2 fish in there which may require ich treatment of some sort.

leebca

Your only option in my opinion which keeps things uninfected is to move the ric into its own QT, then proceed to treat the fish in its QT.

The ric will not survive a hyposalinity treatment (and definitely not a copper treatment).

yeah... I may have to do a 'bucket tank' for the ric. just a bit of water in the bottom of a bucket with frequent water changes, and some t5 lighting for a couple of hours a day.
grrr