Using silicon in a "wet zone"

Hey all....
I'd like to add a baffle extension to my sump/fuge. The extension is to make one of the walls higher than it currently is. In order to do so I need to stop the flow over this wall.... Not really an issue here. So I turn of the pump and let the water settle below the desired joint line. But now I have no flow into my sump.
The silicon instructions specify 10mins to dry, 2 days to cure and 1 week to full strength. I would like to have my sump 'off-line' for as little time as possible, so how long do I have to wait before firing it up again. Once it is "dry" ie 10 mins (or a couple of hours), is it safe to run water over it? Or will the 2 days be enough? or do I have to wait the whole week before I can use it?

cheers

if you wait 10 min all your gonna have is a mess. and some silicon has to cure or else it will leach into the water and kill everything in your tank. best thing to do here is get a rubbermade tub from walmart and make a make shift sump for a few days and deal with it. if not everything might just die. is it worth it? i have over a thousand dollars in coral and half that in fish. so i would have to say NO!!! make sure you use 100% silicon and not the stuff from lowes. i went to a glass store and they had stuff specificlly for tanks. costed about 13.00 tube. worked great. do not use anything with mildew inhibitors or such. even when they dry they will leach and kill all your pretty things you have collected and paid so much money for. if your jsut adding lowes has dap brand aquarium sealant in a small grey tube. that would be my next best choice. using a rubber made will last for a while so be patient. i would let it sit for a week if it were me. just my opinion

BLAKEJOHN

I believe he is from the east and i dont think they have those stores there. But as was mentioned, get an aquarium safe 100% silicone (make sure it is labeled as such). See if any of you local stores carry DAP products. Most of these cure in 24-48hrs. If it lists a long cure time then I would assume it is not aquarium safe.

Hahaha... I'm actually in Australia, if thats 'east' enough for you. :)

I wasn't suggesting I wait 10 minutes, and the silicone I have (which is aquarium safe) says cure in 2 days, FULL cure in 1 week. I was just wondering whether i have to wait the full week or whether the 2 day cure is fine?

cheers

BLAKEJOHN

whopps, sorry, I though you where is asia. I would atleast wait 4-5 days in a well ventalated and low humidity room