Search results

1. smkndrgn142

Coral ideas

So I need your help guys and gals. I was looking at my tank today and realized that a majority of my corals pretty much grow flat against the rocks (Mushrooms and Zoas). I'm wondering if anyone could suggest some LPS that will have more of a vertical growth. I've already got a branching...
  2. smkndrgn142

Good starter SPS

Hey all, getting ready to add some sps in the next few weeks. I'm just starting to do some research and thought I'd ask everyone their opinions. So, what do you think, what are some good sps to start with?
  3. smkndrgn142

Who'd win between a hammer and a ric?

I should have seen this coming...and well, I guess I kind of did. But, my hammer broke at it's base today as I was moving things around. I found him a new home on a rock covered in rics...however, apparently I placed the hammer a little to close to the mother ric and the two of them are doing...
  4. smkndrgn142

Lighting thoughts...

Hey everybody, I am getting ready to upgrade my lighting and I just wanted to get some thoughts before I made my order. I am currently considering 2 brands of T5 lighting. Right now it's between the Current Nova Extreme Pro 48" and a Catalina 48" fixture. Any thoughts/experiences with these...
  5. smkndrgn142

looking for a T5 fixture

need a 48" fixture, would prefer a 6 bulb config. Anyone got a used one they would like to sell?
  6. smkndrgn142

Starting a 29 gallon FW

After doing exclusively salt water for the last 9 years, I'm going to turn my 29 back in to a FW planted community tank. I'm thinking a of a couple veiled angles, a clown loach, and maybe some tetras as of right now. Anyone have any other suggestions? It's been so long since I've thought...
  7. smkndrgn142

Who's had luck with Dendronephthya?

I recently got a mixed polyp rock from my coral dealer and it came with a bright orange one on it. don't usually buy on impulse like that, but now I've got it and I hear they can be difficult. I just haven't really seen or heard from anyone who's had luck with them, so if anyone's out there I...
  8. smkndrgn142

ID This Coral

So I don't usually buy corals I don't know about, but this one came attached to a rock with a nice collection of polyps on it. Anyway, it looks a bit like a dendronephthya but I'm not sure...it's the orange one btw
  9. smkndrgn142

snail question?!?!?

So I came home from work this morning, which is nice because I usually don't see my tank much after lights out, and I noticed a white discharge coming from my trochus snail. Has anyone else seen anything like this before? It kind of reminded me of fish spawning, could that be what this is?
  10. smkndrgn142

My latest 55gal reef attempt...

Well, to be more exact, it's simply a continuation and upgrade of the tank I've set up since I've lived in LA. Currently I have a 55 gallon tank with 282 watts of PC lighting, 60lbs of live rock, 60lbs of live sand, 2 rio 1200 powerheads and a hydor Koralia 1 for water movement, as well as a...
  11. smkndrgn142

Need tanks drilled...

Does anyone know someone in Los Angeles that does this?
  12. smkndrgn142

What overflow would you recommend?

I'm looking at this one by Tom Aquatics... Tom Aquatics Pro Series Surface Skimmer Overflow Box with Aqua Lifter, External Boxes > Overflow Box > Saltwater Aquarium Supplies but I haven't heard of the company before. Does anyone have any experience with them? What other overflows would you...
  13. smkndrgn142

using two 10gal tanks for sump and refugium...

I currently have a 55 gallon FOWLR that I'm converting to a reef tank. I would like to add a sump and refugium for obvious reasons, but I'm limited by space. I have a 20L and a 29 Gallon that I would have loved to use for this, but the won't fit. So my idea is to use two 10 gallon tanks...one...
  14. smkndrgn142

Hello from Hollywood

Hi there! I'm new as a member here, but have been reading the forums for a while looking for advice. I've been keeping FOWLR tanks for about 10 years now and I'm finally ready to make the switch to a reef tank in my 55g. I look forward to learning from you all and offering help when I can...;)...