Hello from Hollywood

smkndrgn142

Hi there! I'm new as a member here, but have been reading the forums for a while looking for advice. I've been keeping FOWLR tanks for about 10 years now and I'm finally ready to make the switch to a reef tank in my 55g. I look forward to learning from you all and offering help when I can...;)

matthew

smkndrgn142

Welcome aboard Hollywood!
Ask away! Feel free to post pics of your setup as well.

Thanks! Put up a post in the DIY section, I'm trying to figure out the plumbing for a sump & refugium I'm building...because of space I'm forced to use 2 10 gallon aquariums. I need to take some new pics now that I've got the rest of the live rock in...but maybe I'll put some of the old ones up for the time being.

smkndrgn142

Thanks all for the welcome and to all those who have offered their assistance with my sump/refugium plans! Things are on a quick hold while i treat my coral beauty who has become ill. Preparing for a water change tomorrow and a quick hyposalinity treatment. There have been some recent changes to the tank and I think he's been a little stressed out. Everyone else is okay, so I'm thankful for that! He's not acting ill yet, so i'm sure he'll pull through...I've had him almost 4 years, I'd hate to lose him now...:( Only had the clown longer (7years)...

smkndrgn142

2 days later...he's in a QT after a fresh water bath...he seems happy and healthy. Eating well and swimming like crazy. I think he misses the bigger thank. Still not sure what it was...water quality was good, trates were a little high (20), but everything else was good...haven't added anything but sand and rock in the last 3 months. Oh, well, the angel will be in Qt for a few more weeks, but then safely back home.

Tru2nr

welcome to RS n glad everyone here is being so helpful...just as a FYI i would watch that coral beauty the minute u start putting corals in your tank they can have a tendency to nip at them...and trust me i'll take a $40 fish back to the LFS if it even stares to long at my acans lol

nikkipigtails

Good news about your coral beauty. I agree with Tru2nr. My coral beauty nearly nipped my Pink Panter zoas to death. 4 months later they're just barely starting to reopen.

smkndrgn142

Yeah, I've already noticed he had a tendency to do that. I had some mushrooms he left alone, but he'd gone after some of my earlier attempts of coral keeping. We'll have to see what happens, he's such a beauty...;) I may have to set up another tank just for him.

nikkipigtails

Ours was bad with the zoas...there are a lot of other fish out there that are just as pretty, if not prettier that don't bother corals but if you like that fish that much, maybe just try staying away from zoas.

smkndrgn142

It's funny how every book out there lists them as reef safe, I'm glad to hear differently before I put corals in there...anyway, when I finish the sump and fuge on the 55 I think I'll use all my spare parts to set up my 20L with a 29 gal sump/fuge. If he starts terrorizing anything he'll probably end up in there. The Dwarf Angels were what got me started in saltwater keeping in the first place, so he'll stick around somewhere. Anyone have a suggestion of dwarf that will leave corals alone?