What overflow would you recommend?

glampka

If you want a worry free one you should consider drilling the tank & installing an internal overflow. Check out www.glass-holes.com. Their kits include everything you need including the glass drill bit.

I just installed the tom aquatics, its a bit to set it up but it works great now, and auto siphons when power comes back on, and doesnt flood when power goes out. Good luck , Ps Life reef has a 3 week back log or I would have bought from them.

chrome91

i have alot of TOM products, all are good. once i get my 55g breeder more set up, i was considering getting the TOM overflow.

drilling a tank that is set up with water can be done relatively easy ..... just drop the water level in it and drill away ..... It's kinda a PITA but it has been done and I've seen it ! lol

yes it was scary to watch .... and more scary for the guy drilling ! !

interesting how everyone does it different ! I would recommend against ANY external overflow ! .... no thank you ... Murphy's Law will get you .... oh yes... it will .... :)

smkndrgn142

drilling a tank that is set up with water can be done relatively easy ..... just drop the water level in it and drill away ..... It's kinda a PITA but it has been done and I've seen it ! lol

yes it was scary to watch .... and more scary for the guy drilling ! !

Maybe the next time I move it will get drilled, but I'm just not going to risk it while it's set up. I'll practice though when building my sump and fuge.
To everyone else, thanks for the recommends! I'm now leaning toward the life reef box...sounds like there's a whole lot of love for it out there. And the three week wait isn't a big deal, I've still got to get the rest of the parts together...decide on the pumps and build the baffles on the tanks...etc, etc, etc...

mps9506

That tom overflow looks eerily like the CPR overflows which I would avoid like the plague. If it needs a powerhead or lifter pump to keep the bubbles out of the siphon tube and keep it primed I would stay away.
The only external overflows I even consider are Lifereef and Lifereef clones.

smkndrgn142

That tom overflow looks eerily like the CPR overflows which I would avoid like the plague. If it needs a powerhead or lifter pump to keep the bubbles out of the siphon tube and keep it primed I would stay away.
The only external overflows I even consider are Lifereef and Lifereef clones.

They are definitely similar...but that what I was looking for when I started this search. I know a pump will come back on, I still don't understand how the lifereef keeps the siphon going without emptying your tank, or re-start on its own. But I've read enough from you guys to actually start to believe it...;)

mps9506

They are definitely similar...but that what I was looking for when I started this search. I know a pump will come back on, I still don't understand how the lifereef keeps the siphon going without emptying your tank, or re-start on its own. But I've read enough from you guys to actually start to believe it...;)

The water stays in the tube because both ends of the tube remain submerged. Once water stops flowing into the overflow and the water stops going down the drain pipe there is still enough water on both ends to keep the siphon tube primed. Once your pumps start back up water flows into the overflow, pushes the water through the already primed tube and then starts filling the outside box back up and it drains down the pipe.

And the problem with the CPR style overflows isn't a pump that comes back on, the problem occurs when the pump stops working and the overflow unit loses siphon when you are out of town and the return pump drains your sump onto the floor. via the display tank that isn't draining anymore.

smkndrgn142

The water stays in the tube because both ends of the tube remain submerged. Once water stops flowing into the overflow and the water stops going down the drain pipe there is still enough water on both ends to keep the siphon tube primed. Once your pumps start back up water flows into the overflow, pushes the water through the already primed tube and then starts filling the outside box back up and it drains down the pipe.

And the problem with the CPR style overflows isn't a pump that comes back on, the problem occurs when the pump stops working and the overflow unit loses siphon when you are out of town and the return pump drains your sump onto the floor. via the display tank that isn't draining anymore.

Thanks for the explanation! What you say makes sense...I'm probably just not seeing something in the pics of the unit. Now, to find someone who will drill and cut glass in LA...

wait who now .... drill who? why? .... now I'm confused ..... i guess that isn't anything new... I confuse easy ... I thought we were talking external (BAD) overflows ..... why not just drill for tank overflows instead?

ok i'm confused ..... don't mind me .... dum de dum

smkndrgn142

wait who now .... drill who? why? .... now I'm confused ..... i guess that isn't anything new... I confuse easy ... I thought we were talking external (BAD) overflows ..... why not just drill for tank overflows instead?

ok i'm confused ..... don't mind me .... dum de dum

sorry, not drilling the display...but i'm going to build a sump/fuge...because of limited space in the stand I'm using two 10 gallon tanks...going to have those drilled and plumb them together as one tank. Sorry for the confusion! Also going to drill a 20L and a 29 that I have laying around and set them up as well, with the 29 as the sump/fuge...not sure if that will be reef only or what yet. I just hate having tanks laying around with nothing in them...;)

lol ok cool ... i'm not so confused now! thank you :D ..... i have two 75s two 55s three 30s two 10s one flat back 30 hex and a couple others ... need anymore ? lol

smkndrgn142

I hear ya...I've had so many tanks set up over the years...even had to give a few of them away. I upgraded my 29Gal FOWLR over a year ago to my current 55 Gal FOWLR and slowly making the transition to a reef. I can't wait to have the space to go really big, but that will have to wait for the time being.

yeah.... I have a hard time even giving them away ! I can't wait to upgrade .... although my hunny isn't too excited about it lol

I'll just kick her out and sleep with my new tank instead .... that's not against the law right? :)