using two 10gal tanks for sump and refugium...

smkndrgn142

I currently have a 55 gallon FOWLR that I'm converting to a reef tank. I would like to add a sump and refugium for obvious reasons, but I'm limited by space. I have a 20L and a 29 Gallon that I would have loved to use for this, but the won't fit. So my idea is to use two 10 gallon tanks...one for the sump and one for the refugium. Is there anyone out there who has built anything like this, or could offer any ideas on plumbing?

thanks...

NCguy

WiseGuy
You can use two 15g tall tanks and they will fit under a 55.. That will give you a little extra water volume over two 10's. Have one of them drilled near the top on one side and install a bulkhead in it.Raise this tank a few inches enough for the water to flow into the second tank through the bulkhead(with a hose attached of course).The first tank will be your sump and the second will be your fuge and return.I'll draw a quick pic hold on.

smkndrgn142

You can use two 15g tall tanks and they will fit under a 55.. That will give you a little extra water volume over two 10's. Have one of them drilled near the top on one side and install a bulkhead in it.Raise this tank a few inches enough for the water to flow into the second tank through the bulkhead(with a hose attached of course).The first tank will be your sump and the second will be your fuge and return.I'll draw a quick pic hold on.

Thanks Tim! I was hoping not to have to drill, but if I must, I must. I'm wondering if the flow rate through something like this would be too much for a fuge?

NCguy

WiseGuy
I know this is a pretty bad drawing but maybe you can get an idea from it.....

IMG.jpg

PEMfish

Do not go with tall tanks. They are very hard to work with as sumps. With ONE of your larger tanks do this; ( not to sound bossy, its YOUR system )

or this;

Attachments

• untitleddd0.jpg
    untitleddd0.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 48
  • SUMP fuge.jpg
    SUMP fuge.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 48

NCguy

WiseGuy
I just posted this a couple hours ago. It's pretty much the same thing you're thinking.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...lanned-system-upgrade.html?highlight=thoughts
bill

Sorry I didnt catch your post earlier but yeah that's pretty much the same thing. I gave one of my friends my old 55 and we ran into this problem so we tried a 20L but it wouldn't fit.Then we went with two 15 talls and configured them like the pic above and everything has been doing pretty good.

NCguy

WiseGuy
Do not go with tall tanks. They are very hard to work with as sumps. With ONE of your larger tanks do this; ( not to sound bossy, its YOUR system )

or this;

.....A Larger tank wont fit under a "55 gallon stand" without cutting and gutting.Or without buying acrylic and making a longer one, but not over 10.5 inches in width.

smkndrgn142

thanks funkpolice...that is very similar to what I was thinking. I have the same issue with your design that I had with Tim's, I just feel like this would be too much flow through the fuge for it to do any good. I'm playing with the idea of running two return lines...one from the sump would have a "T" section, so I could divert some flow (controlled with a ball valve) to the fuge...and then run a second return line from the fuge. Whether I use a 10g or 15Tall, flow should probably be limited to 100-200 gph, where the flow in the sump would be higher.

NCguy

WiseGuy
The amount of flow can be controlled by what size return pump you use or by valving the return down.

smkndrgn142

Thanks everybody for all the different ideas, keep them coming! I really want to have this clearly planned out before I build! Maybe one day the manufacturers will figure out how to make their stands more functional...;)

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
What type of overflow are you using? If it is a hang on back over flow you must run enough water to keep the siphon working well. If it is through a "reef ready" stand pipe overflow system or a back wall bulkhead system, then the return pump will basically control the amount of flow you must deal with. There is always the option of using two "T" fittings. The bottom two arms of the lowest "T" would have ball valves to control flow to your skiimer and to your refugium and all the excess would flow from the top "T" fitting arm straight to the pumps return chamber. This would allow for a good flow through your overflow regardless of the type. With this set up, your skimmer chamber should only receive approximately the amount it can handle without a lot of excess diluting the waters dissolved organiscs. Preferably your skimmers discharge should flow into the bubble baffles first chamber and flow from the bubble baffles to the pump return chamber. The overflow from the refugium should flow staright into the pump returm chamber. Make the chamber holding your skimmer no larger than needed to hold the skimmer and any pumps supporting it. A surface skimmer skims the layer of organics off the waters surface better at a higher flow rate than a lower one.

smkndrgn142

What type of overflow are you using? If it is a hang on back over flow you must run enough water to keep the siphon working well. If it is through a "reef ready" stand pipe overflow system or a back wall bulkhead system, then the return pump will basically control the amount of flow you must deal with. There is always the option of using two "T" fittings. The bottom two arms of the lowest "T" would have ball valves to control flow to your skiimer and to your refugium and all the excess would flow from the top "T" fitting arm straight to the pumps return chamber. This would allow for a good flow through your overflow regardless of the type. With this set up, your skimmer chamber should only receive approximately the amount it can handle without a lot of excess diluting the waters dissolved organiscs. Preferably your skimmers discharge should flow into the bubble baffles first chamber and flow from the bubble baffles to the pump return chamber. The overflow from the refugium should flow staright into the pump returm chamber. Make the chamber holding your skimmer no larger than needed to hold the skimmer and any pumps supporting it. A surface skimmer skims the layer of organics off the waters surface better at a higher flow rate than a lower one.

Using a HOB overflow...probably going with the CPR, unless someone has a better suggestion...and thanks for mentioning the surface skimmer, I hadn't thought of that.