Search results

1. Raoul5Duke

Reef Safe Paint???

thanks for the help.
  2. Raoul5Duke

Reef Safe Paint???

Thanks Al, just to be sure we are on the same page this will be inside the aquarium. still okay? I bought clear acrylic to make the tank out of and used the scrap for overflow, unless they sell black acrylic at HD or Lowe's which I am not aware of, I didn't want to go to the trouble of getting a...
  3. Raoul5Duke

Reef Safe Paint???

I think I know the answer and this is probably a dumb question.... but, is there any paint that is safe to use on acrylic that will be inside my frag tank?? I have to take down the tank this weekend to make some improvements and I was wondering if there is anything I can use to paint my clear...
  4. Raoul5Duke

Pros & Cons of Various Additive Systems

Boomer, I know this will vary based on the inhabitants, but what do you think the limits are for just a kalk system?? Could you simply say over 90 gallons with a mixed reef is prob. the limit or is it too complex to generalize as such. Seems a lot of people like Calcium reactors, saying that...
  5. Raoul5Duke

Thanks Lynn. Seems like no matter how much I read before trying something in this hobby the actual experience is always a little different so that is part of the reason for my question. Hoping to get actual users feedback.
  6. Raoul5Duke

Thanks Nanoreefing.... anyone else? Maybe I should have put this in the Chemistry forum.
  7. Raoul5Duke

I recently switched from 2-part to Kalkwasser and back to 2-part for my additive regime, I'll spare everyone my reasons, but this got me thinking (esp. since I hope to upgrade to a larger system sometime in the next 2 years after I move): What is the best additive system?? I know this will vary...
  8. Raoul5Duke

Kalk topoff clogging aqualifter

I recently started using Kalkwasser mixed in a 5-gallon bucket with a Tom aquatics aqualifter for my top off. Last week I got a little behind on my maintenance and the top off was depleted before I could refill. When I refilled it and turned it back on it seems the residual left behind in the...
  9. Raoul5Duke

Ca/Alk Bal.

Thanks for the confirming that guys.
  10. Raoul5Duke

Ca/Alk Bal.

I recently started using kalkwasser as my topoff b/c of the lower cost and less maintenance vs. 2-part system, also my pH has been consistently low (recently installed a ACjr. to monitor this). Anyway my last two tests show Ca around 450-460 and Alk 3.31-3.43 or 9.3-9.6 Dkh. I don't think...
  11. Raoul5Duke

Strangeness....

No, the only things I put in were some LR I bought off a fellow reefer and cured for a few weeks, some of the corals from my DT that were sick or growing too fast, a few turbo snails to help with a HA outbreak and the purple chromis. I saw the fish the day before then the next day I find half...
  12. Raoul5Duke

Strangeness....

Al, Do you think the turbos would feed on him if he was already dead?? I looked for a crab, but they blend in so well. There are only 3 large pieces of LR in that part, the rest is in the sump, so limited places to hide. Time to stake out the frag tank I guess.
  13. Raoul5Duke

need help and totally frustrated

If he is in NE Ohio I would direct him to the C-Sea forum over on RC. There are a lot of folks on there that are more than willing to help out a fellow reefer. HTH.
  14. Raoul5Duke

Strangeness....

I had a purple pseudochromis in my DT that was an absolute terror to ornamental shrimp and a bit of a bully to my other fish. So I made a fish trap out of a clear plastic bottle and moved him/her to a frag tank that I recently set up (I couldn't believe this worked :D ). Nothing is in this...
  15. Raoul5Duke

2 Different WYSIWYG Monti Frag Packs FS

Just wanted to say "Thanks" Jim. All corals were well packed and all arrived healthy, most of them began to color up while I was acclimating the bags. Jim was very helpful, even let me swap out the orange monti for a birdsnest frag. I would definitely order from him again.
  16. Raoul5Duke

What glue?

You want to use Weld On #4 if it is something like a tank that needs structural integrity. Use Weld On #16 to fill gaps.
  17. Raoul5Duke

Controller Thread

I found a thread yesterday for controllers, specifically ACjr and AC3 from Neptune Systems. Can anyone provide the link? I can't find it today. I'm having problems with my PH probe and wanted to search through the thread to see if anyone had similar problems and what they did. Thanks.
  18. Raoul5Duke

Do check valves restrict flow?

I have extra room in the sump, etc. I was just picking up new plumbing parts in Lowe's and thought they would be a nice convenience. Boy was I wrong. I looked yesterday and some strands of Chaeto had gotten sucked into the return line and instantly clogged the check valve. I also didn't...
  19. Raoul5Duke

Sump Designs and Examples

I would suggest checking out Melevsreef.com - Welcome! . I found his website to be very helpful for planning and designing my first sump.