Pros & Cons of Various Additive Systems

Raoul5Duke

I recently switched from 2-part to Kalkwasser and back to 2-part for my additive regime, I'll spare everyone my reasons, but this got me thinking (esp. since I hope to upgrade to a larger system sometime in the next 2 years after I move): What is the best additive system?? I know this will vary by user, but the 2 most important variables for me would be stability/results and ease of use. In short, I don't mind the upfront investment or a higher ongoing cost if it means good results and less work. So what are everyone's thoughts? Calcium reactor, Kalkreactor, 2-part manual, dosing pumps, balling, zeo? If you were going to start a system, say 150-gal. or larger mixed reef or sps dominated, what would you choose for results and ease of use? Why do you think this provides the best results and/or is easy to use vs. others?

lcstorc

I'll moove it to chem for you.
The more advanced your set-up gets the more it needs to be controlled and monitored. I have seen great results from all of the systems you mention

Raoul5Duke

Thanks Lynn. Seems like no matter how much I read before trying something in this hobby the actual experience is always a little different so that is part of the reason for my question. Hoping to get actual users feedback.

lcstorc

There are fans of all of them.
Personally I keep it simple but then again, I don't have sps. I just monitor the biggies and add as needed and do lots of water changes.
I know HMA using the bailing method and has posted a lot about it and I know Frankie had great success with Zeo before he took his tank down.
Here are some links to their threads.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chemistry-forum/28307-balling-method-supplementing.html
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/34243-new-horizons.html
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chemistry-forum/25369-zeovit-system.html
Someone was doing Probido but I don't remember who so I can't look up the thread.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
What is the best additive system??

Kalk period, if you can get away with using just Kalk. However, many can not and use a combo of Kalk and a 2-part or reactor or a combo of Kalk and a reactor. If Kalk can meet the demands of your Ca++, Alk and pH then stay with Kalk. Why Kalk, as it leaves nothing behind like 2-parts or reactors.

Raoul5Duke

Boomer,
I know this will vary based on the inhabitants, but what do you think the limits are for just a kalk system?? Could you simply say over 90 gallons with a mixed reef is prob. the limit or is it too complex to generalize as such. Seems a lot of people like Calcium reactors, saying that once you get them dialed in they are low maintenance. Just seems to me that with all the extra equipment they could be a hassel..... reactor, co2 tank, extra PH probe.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
duke

No, over 90 is not an issue. The issue is more on cost. When water vol increases you need to look at how much it is going to cost you in the long run, which becomes more of a limiting factor for just Kalk. Also has one moves from a mixed reef to full blown sps reef one leans much more to a CR. Even in some very large public aquarium reefs they use both CR and KR. Meaning, we are still back to looking at the demand. CR are no different than KR "does it meat the demand of the system". In many systems a CR does not meat all the demands, usually pH, so sup with kalk. You may have some interest in this article. Running a system, like the new 200,000 gal CAS Stienhart reef tank, on just kalk would break them financially.

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
Chemistry and the Aquarium

BLAKEJOHN

I use a 2 part. For me it is simple. No mixing, no monitoring, no probs, no controllers, no "holy *&^%" moments and not very time consuming. I would like to automate it with dosing pumps as soon as I find the pumps I like that are also affordable. As of now I have a mixed reef and the 2 part is able to maintain my params in a fairly cost effective manner even if I have to doulble my dose in the future.