Reef Safe Paint???

Raoul5Duke

I think I know the answer and this is probably a dumb question.... but, is there any paint that is safe to use on acrylic that will be inside my frag tank?? I have to take down the tank this weekend to make some improvements and I was wondering if there is anything I can use to paint my clear, acrylic overflows so it hides my standpipe, etc. behind them. I doubt there is, but figured no harm in asking. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Krylon Fusion paint is used by many (including myself) just be sure it's cured a day or so. I don't know for SURE about adhesion to acrylic but it sticks to PVC and other things very well. Maybe you want to consider painting your PVC too?

why paint when in time its gonna turn purple for free, purple is the best, if you want black just buy black acrylic

Raoul5Duke

Thanks Al, just to be sure we are on the same page this will be inside the aquarium. still okay? I bought clear acrylic to make the tank out of and used the scrap for overflow, unless they sell black acrylic at HD or Lowe's which I am not aware of, I didn't want to go to the trouble of getting a separate piece just for aesthetic reasons. Thanks.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I painted some Egg-Crate with it for frags racks and it worked fine IN the tank.

BLAKEJOHN

Yes krylon fusion paint is safe for use inside the tank. This paint chemically bonds to any plactic including acrylic. Apply several coats with an hour or so inbetween and the let cure for two days before placing in water.

Uslanja

Hello! Found this thread and have a similar question but different in this regard; I am making a refuge out of glass and want to paint the baffles and weirs to hide everything except the actual refuge compartment. Will the Krylon also work on glass? Also, I have only noticed Krylon in a spray can; do they have it in brush on? But then again, I could just wait it out - I do enjoy the look of coralline!
Dave

tektite

I've only seen Krylon in the spray cans. Its specifically for plastic, so it wouldn't work on glass.