Search results

1. nikkipigtails

Lighting for 7" deep frag tank

I got a tank I thought would be great for frags. The problem is that it's 7" deep...yes, 7" deep. So, I can't have anything that would be too strong. I was thinking about getting a Glo T5 fixture that's used for FW planted aquariums. They have them at the fish store I used to work at and...
  2. nikkipigtails

FS: Pumps and Beckett Skimmer

Getting a new tank so we're parting out what we can in the meantime. All reasonable offers will be considered. Reeflo Hammerhead: $250 + shipping The ReefFlo Hammerhead is the most powerful pump in it's class. This energy efficient pump is ideal for 300 -500 gallon aquariums with sump...
  3. nikkipigtails

FS: 72" MH/T5 Retro

I've got a 72" 4 x 400 W MH/ 4 x 60 W T5 retrofit for sale. Price is $750/OBO shipped. Bought it in March for over $1000, installed it in April so it's been running it for 6 months. Here's my tank with the lights on. The MH bulbs are 14K and with the actenics on, it's a crisp white...
  4. nikkipigtails

2 Pink Anthias, 1 BTA & a CBS

Tommy and I are changing tanks and need to find a home for a couple members of our finned family. I have for sale or trade: 2 pink anthias - I can't get a good pic but I'll post what I've got. They're orangy-pink with a light purple stripe under each eye and an almost white belly. Paid...
  5. nikkipigtails

OT: I'm starting a business

I wasn't sure where to post this so I figured that OT was safe. So, after working at the local fish store for a little while, I have noticed the need not only for reliable aquarium maintenance, but also for an honest, dependable aquarium store. The store I work at is on the Eastern Shore...
  6. nikkipigtails

OT: Gustav

It's probably a little early to start a thread of Gustav but I figured I would anyway. As of today, it's a Category 1 hurricane and is expected to be a Category 3 hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico on Sunday. It's projected path (so far) is almost exactly the same as Ivan which was a direct hit...
  7. nikkipigtails

Introduction Order of New Fishes

I have a 180 gallon reef tank and a 35 gallon clown tank plumbed together to a 75 gal sump. The only inhabitants in the 180 is a yellow watchman goby and a tiger pistol shrimp, fire shrimp, coral banded shrimp, peppermint shrimp (I just noticed that I have a lot of shrimp :rolleyes:) and a...
  8. nikkipigtails

Moby needs help!

First, water params because I know you'll ask: Ammonia: 0 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: 0 Phosphates: 0 Calcium: 420 ppm Alkalinity: 6.9 dKh Magnesium: 1350 ppm pH: 8.0 SG: 1.024 Tank is 180 gallon with Moby, a six line and a lettuce nudibranch as the only inhabitants. Tank is fed mush...
  9. nikkipigtails

Rethinking Stock List

I'm rethinking my stock list...here's what I was originally going to have: Six Line Wrasse (already have this one) Pair of Purple Firefish Yellow Watchman (still going to get this one) Sailfin Tang Powder Brown Tang...
  10. nikkipigtails

First Fish

We're getting ready to add our first fish to the big tank. Which fish should we add first and why?
  11. nikkipigtails

Dual Reactors

I know there are a ton of builds with reactors already so I'm just going to add to the list. I'm building a dual reactor where one will hold carbon and the other will hold ferric oxide. We're using a maxijet to take water from the return section of our sump through the reactors and it will...
  12. nikkipigtails

Wanna see how big Moby really is?

So, do you want to see how big Moby really is? I think that if I stretch out his arms they are ~10" long. His central disc is ~1 1/4" across...so he's nearly 2' from tip to tip.
  13. nikkipigtails

What's the deal?

Ok...the rocks and water have been in the tank since 6/20. On the 6th our params were: Ammonia: 1-2 ppm (it's closer to 2) Nitrite: 0 ppm Nitrate: ~5 ppm I tested today and the params were: (I haven't been doing anything with calc or alk so they're exactly what they are when th SW is...
  14. nikkipigtails

I'm confused...Kalk dosing through ATO

Ok...I'm really confused. We're about to start designing our ATO system and we want to dose Kalk through it. This is our first large system and in our smaller tanks, we manually dosed a two part system for Calc and Alk. From what I gather, they have an ATO resevoir of FW and dose kalk through...
  15. nikkipigtails

Anemone info

I want to get a head start researching anemones for my anemone tank. Does anyone have any links with good info?
  16. nikkipigtails

Predator Tank Filtration

My hubby and I came across an awesome 130 gal acrylic custom cube with a stand, canopy, plumbing, pumps, etc. for an amazing price and don't want to pass it up. We were thinking of moving one of our dressers into the spare bedroom and setting it up as a predator tank. (I guess you know you're...
  17. nikkipigtails

Pregnant Sea Dragon @ GA Aquarium

General News - Endangered sea dragon at Ga. aquarium pregnant
  18. nikkipigtails

My shrimp got declawed

My CBS, Major, had some huge claws. He went into hiding a few days ago, figured he was molting, he came out today and his big claws are GONE! When they get really big, do they lose their big claws and grow new ones or should I look for the culprit? The funny thing is that he's the agressive...
  19. nikkipigtails

OT: Expanding my Portfolio

I've decided that I want to expand my portfolio with some more color pieces but I don't kno which one I want to work on first.
  20. nikkipigtails

Gluing Rocks

I've got an awesome idea for the aquascape of our tank. It means, however, that I've got to use a pvc structure to attach the rocks to. I haven't had any luck with marine putty. How can I attach the rocks to the pvc? I was thinking nylon screws and super glue then spray foam on the underside...