Anemone info

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Great links guys!

Good luck with your purchase Nikki. You will enjoy having an anemone. My personal recommendation is a bubbletip (E. Quadricolor).

nikkipigtails

Thanks so much guys. I was thinking about starting out with an RBTA but I love the look of the carpets SO much. I think I'll start out wih the RBTA in the small tank and if all goes well, after a while, I might add a carpet anemone to the big one.

nikkipigtails

ok...I've read all the information from the links everyone's posted (a lot was duplicate info so it didn't take very long) and I have a couple of questions:
1. I have 2 false percs and there were only 2 anemones that host perculas one was a carpet anemone and the other was a Ritteri anemone neither of which is one I plan on getting. Has anyone had any experiences with false percs hosting in a bta? Mine switch between hosting in my hammer and hosting in a mat of zoas. I think that since they exhibit a hosting behavior they should be fine but if I need to get a different pair, I would rather do it before I put them in the new tank.

2. I read that anemones have some natural predators, one being large worms. I know for a fact that I have some rather larger bristle worms in the rock that's in the anemone tank. Should I try to remove them?

Thanks

thelastmucci

Nikki,
Back when I was thinking about getting an anemone I wanted to host clowns too. Clowns are not very particular as far as hosting goes...I've even heard of them hosting those ric. mushrooms. I think if you get a BTA then you should be in good shape...one of the members of my "clique" had forwarded me an interesting article on anemones. I'll see if I can either dig it up or google it. HTH

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
1. I have 2 false percs and there were only 2 anemones that host perculas one was a carpet anemone and the other was a Ritteri anemone neither of which is one I plan on getting. Has anyone had any experiences with false percs hosting in a bta? Mine switch between hosting in my hammer and hosting in a mat of zoas. I think that since they exhibit a hosting behavior they should be fine but if I need to get a different pair, I would rather do it before I put them in the new tank.

False Percs are very picky when it comes to Hosting Anemones, so the answer is possibly but it could take a while especially if they're already being hosted by a Hammer.

2. I read that anemones have some natural predators, one being large worms. I know for a fact that I have some rather larger bristle worms in the rock that's in the anemone tank. Should I try to remove them?

I would be concerned with Butterfly fish not the Bristle worms. If you had the Sp. of Bristle worms that were harmfull all of your soft corals would've been already on the menu.