Gluing Rocks

nikkipigtails

I've got an awesome idea for the aquascape of our tank. It means, however, that I've got to use a pvc structure to attach the rocks to. I haven't had any luck with marine putty. How can I attach the rocks to the pvc? I was thinking nylon screws and super glue then spray foam on the underside of the pvc. Would that work? Also, exactly what kind of foam should I use and would it stick to the pvc?

funkpolice

I've seen people drill holes in the pvc. Then attach rods to the rocks. Then put the rods from the rocks, into the holes in the pvc. Kind of like an artificial x-mas tree.
bill

kathywithbirds

How about drilling the rocks? and inserting tubing of some sort. Even saw someone use airline tubing on mid size rocks, gave them a little "give" in the structure.

I can't get that putty stuff to work either.

funkpolice

I drilled my rocks to make an arch. I drilled a 3/8 hole about 1 inch deep, then filled it with super glue and inserted a 2 inch piece of 3/8 pvc. then the 1 inch of tube that was sticking out, went into another rock with a hole in it. It worked really well, I probably didn't even need the glue.
bill

Varga

before using marine epoxy, did you scrub the rock a little? I found the layer of slime on the rocks keeps any adhesive from attaching.

let me know what you do and how it works since I'll be doing this here pretty soon :)

I've never had luck with marine epoxy either. What does work well (and I mean very well) and will attach to anything is Plumbers Epoxy. I buy it from Home Depot and if I remember correctly it costs three to four dollars. It's made by PC products. Its made for potable/drinking water situations. It's grey in color and the only down side is the fast set time. After mixing it hardens in about 3 minutes and sets in 20 minutes. It's waterproof, doesn't sag or drip and cures wet or dry. I use it for everything and I've found it bonds to every surface I ever tried. If I ever need to move a coral I've glued/epoxy down, it always takes a chunk of rock with it. I've used it on PVC, acrylic and glass, and it's a life time bond. I always glue to rock with algae and it makes no difference. Give it a try, it's amazing.

WPH

I use surfboard poly sanding resin to gule all the rocks together...it cures in about a week to 10 days.....aloha Les @ WPH

Attachments

• John's Tank.jpg
    John's Tank.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 35

nikkipigtails

Thanks everyone for responding. I think what I'm going to do is drill about an inch into the rocks and use gel super glue to adhere a nylon screw into the rock then insert the end of the screw into a corresponding hole in the pvc and secure it with a nut. I'm going to try to find out what kind of spray foam I can spray over the pvc. Once algae adheres to it, it looks like rocks. I'll let you all know how it turns out.