Search results

1. R

OT: National Breast Cancer Awareness Month

I did a search for this topic, but could not find one. So here it is. Apologies if someone already mentioned it. October is National Breast Cancer Awarenss Month. It's a tradition to go pink (wear something pink, change your website template pink, etc.) for the month. More info here...
  2. R

Foxface Lo Question

I went into Petco today (no flaming...I went there for cat litter) and they were selling a FoxFace (for $42) and the little description on the card stated that is was not compatible with reefs. Has anyone had or know of problems with this fish and reefs? I was thinking about getting on in the...
  3. R

Tell Us Your Biggest Mistake

I was looking at my tank tonite and thought of things I might do differently if I had to start all over again. Then I realized that I made some very critical mistakes over the years. Here are my top three. Share with us your biggest mistakes regarding your tank(s). The purpose is not to embarass...
  4. R

BTA Split

Yes...it finally happened after almost three years! The BTA split overnight. It's still in the process of completing the split. I think it may have split twice, as I think I can count three seperate anemones! One is hidden toward the back of the tank. Sorry no pics on this thread, as I can't...
  5. R

OT: Reefers vs. Trekkies

Just wondering what your opinion is. There may be some overlap, but do you think that reefers/marine aquarists react to marine hobby issues (lighting, water chemistry, etc.) in the same way that Star Trek fans react to phasers, warp speed issues, transport room issues, etc.? I've never been to...
  6. R

DT's Marine Diet/Oyster Eggs

Has anyone used this? My LFS says it's new. Made up of oyster eggs for corals and inverts, filterfeeders. Borneman wrote the intro to their advertising pamphlet. There is nothing about it on their website. The LFS ppl say that when they add it to their tanks, they get tremendous coral response...
  7. R

Test Kit Discrepancy for Calcium

Hey folks, I'll cut right to the point (sorta). I have a Lamotte Ca test kit. I have two Salifert Ca test kits. The Lamotte indicates something like >800 ppm. The Salifert shows less than 200 ppm. Now I just realized today, after months of using the Lamotte kit that it measures CaCO3 (calcium...
  8. R

AE Systems

I just received a Vital Sine pH/ORP/Temp meter from Aquatic Eco-Systems. The great thing was that I ordered the direct connect probe, but they sent me both the direct connect and the cable connect! So I paid the lesser price for the direct connect and got a free cable probe which saved me like...
  9. R

America's for Sale...on Ebay!

Just saw this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3936814125 -RY
  10. R

Surviving Charley

Hey folks, My area was badly hit when Hurricane Charley came thru. I was without power and water for 4 days. Much of central florida is still without power (last I heard still tens of thousands of people without power and water) and lots of destruction. But my fish survived thanks to the...
  11. R

Holy Cow! What is this?

I've had my BTA for over two years now and was walking by my tank when I noticed white stuff coming out of the mouth. It looks like smoke coming out of a chimney or off of a cigarette. Should I be worried that everything will be dead by tomorrow morning? I messed with the photos so that you...
  12. R

BioFlo - New Product

Hey folks, Has anyone used this or seen this thing in action? Any thoughts? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11363&R=6746&N=2004+22788+1032+2035&in_merch=1 Manufacturer is Hydor: http://www.hydor.it/default.htm Thanx. -RY
  13. R

Going Carbon-less

Hey folks, I just did a water change and decided not to replace the carbon in my sump. I've been an advocate of carbon use for years...actually Boyd's Chemi-Pure. I've changed it out every month since I can't remember. I've decided to only use the Poly-Bio-Marine Poly-Filter Pad, which I've...
  14. R

AHHHH!!! Just thought I'd share this with ya'll

Spring is in the air!!! And I just trapped the three striped damsel that was starting to become a bully. Pity...I've had him in the tank for about 4 years now and he just started to become way to aggressive. I trapped him in a homemade fish/critter trap. There's a picture of it on my website. I...
  15. R

Ph Pen Calibration Troubles

Hey folks, I just got a Hanna pH pen. I've been getting different readings b/c I didn't read the fine print and let it soak in 7.01 buffer before I used it. I bought 7.01 buffer and 10.01 buffer to calibrate the thing. Right now, it's soaking in the 7.01 buffer. Should I use the 10.01 buffer or...
  16. R

Help ID this Frag

I just bought this frag today. I read up on Sarcophytans thinking that this is what it was. The guy at the LFS said it was a Kenya Tree frag, but it was labeled as a "leather frag." I read up on Kenyas and found that the polyps do not retract. The polyps on this frag are obviously retracted. I...
  17. R

Some Feedback is Appreciated

Well, I wasn't going to ask...but since sunnyx posted a request for feedback on his site, I'll do the same. Let me know what you think. Some suggestions would be welcomed as well. Oh, just in case you can't find the info on how I do my water changes, it's under "The Tank" in the menu, then click...
  18. R

FYI, Especially Newbies

I don't know if these have been posted yet. My girlfriend and her sister bought me magazine subscriptions for Christmas and I just got them recently. 1) Aquarium Fish: Fishkeeping - The Art and Science (April 2004) - Has good general info on lighting (see Tim Hovanec's article p.23) -...
  19. R

Inreef and CL&S

After searching for a replacement membrane for my RO unit, I found a good deal on inreef.com. But before ordering anything I had several questions, which Joe was quick to reply to via email. So I ordered a 100 gallon per day membrane today, and can't wait for it to arrive. In addition, Joe told...