Starting a new tank with dried out live rock?

MarkD

Hi All, been a while busy working etc. Anyway, tank is doing well. I'll post some pics soon but still have my original two clowns, bought a firefish and a cleaner shrimp, all doing great.
I finally added some corals, a purple/blue mushroom piece of rock and a colt leather I believe. Both corals doing very well, the mushroom has grown in size and has about four new mushrooms growing.

the colt has opened up nicely and looks like it has gotten a little bigger. I still have diatoms on the glass and sand which I clean off the glass and usually stir the top of the gravel but it comes back pretty fast. Just keeping up with weekly water changes, a couple times went two weeks but usually weekly. I don't over feed so I'm guessing diatom phase will pass? I am thinking of getting a vortec mp10 to add some flow (not sure if I need it) but I only have the single pump.

I think tank is about 4 months old, using ro/di water and red sea salt (just switched to coral pro). I have media basket and tunze 9001 skimmer, with rapid led mod blue/white. I'm running white/blue filter pad, chemi-pure elite and purigen.

I just ordered some snails from reef cleaners to see if they help with diatoms, plus I only have about 8 snails now, 2 turbos, 2 margarita, 2 trochus, 3 nassarius and 1 bumble bee. they have all been in there for months and doing great. I ordered some dwarf cerinth, florida cerinth, nerite and a couple more nassarius.

Rocks are mostly covered in greenish algae with grayish/blue patches. have a couple spots of what looks like coralline.

Post pics soon

MarkD

Well everything's been going real well and I just bought what was going to be my last fish outside of corals, a royal grammar (one of the bigger ones I've seen).

It looked good at lfs and was eating well but a day or two after I got it home I see a white spot on its body, I'm thinking ich but hoping not.

He is doing great outside of that, getting along with my two clowns and firefish and ears like a pig.

I've been lucky son far and kept saying I was going to setup a quarantine tank but this was my last fish and again, been lucky so far. Now I feel bad that I brought him in and possibly infected my other fish. My clips have almost doubled in size.

I'm not sure if I should try to catch him and quarantine of if they should all be quarantined now and leave tank with just inverts for a while. He's been in there since Saturday (3 days )? Do I just take him out and watch the other fish and hope it hadn't spread from him to them or the tank yet.

I'm new getting back into the hobby but I remember ich very well unfortunately, even thought I've always had pretty good success even years back.

Oh well any suggestions would be appreciated, even though I pretty much know my options I guess.

It doesn't seem like there are any medications that really work well especially with a reef.

Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
here hoping it's not ich...

if it is... read the links in this post
Lee Birch's (Chemist and Microbiologist) Advice on Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans)

hopefully others can advise ... on the below
I'm not sure if I should try to catch him and quarantine of if they should all be quarantined now and leave tank with just inverts for a while. He's been in there since Saturday (3 days )? Do I just take him out and watch the other fish and hope it hadn't spread from him to them or the tank yet.

MarkD

I'm thinking of ordering a vortech or hydor karalia nano for now to add more fow to the rear of tank. Where do most of you direct your stock pump? I have mine facing from top left to midway between the center and the right side of the tank about half way between top and bottom but more towards the top.

Haven't noticed anymore spots on the royal garamma but still keeping an eye on him and the other fish. All doing great and eating like crazy.

Planning on hopefully picking up some corals from the CMAS frag swap coming here end of april as long as everything is ok.

MarkD

Hi, just wondering if there's any disadvantages to removing the overflow box on the rsm 130d? I've seen tanks with them removed and it gives some more space plus I'm thinking wanted level in rear sump stays more constant as it evaporates?
I know you loose the surface skimming but if I direct the output at the surface will that make up for it?
Any suggestions on food, frozen etc. I'm feeding frozen mysis, sometimes frozen brine and they Like this hatchery diet I bought with my clowns when they were little.
I tried a couple flake and pellet foods but they aren't to crazy about them.

Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I've seen tanks with them removed

only a few remove them, most of the pics you see without them are the original RSM 130 which did not have one... (not the RSM 130D Deluxe - where it was added) many 130 owners bought the surface skimmer cup upgrade & I would guess 95% of everyone runs them, to help with surface skimming

if this helps

Here a frozen I feed weekly
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8131

San Francisco Bay Brand Frozen Saltwater Multi-Pack

* Four frozen foods offer delicious choices for your saltwater fish
Individual cube packaging for convenient waste-free feeding
Variety pack for herbivores, omnivores, and carnivores
logo_sanfran.gif
A feast for your saltwater fish! This multi-pack contains twelve cubes each of four delicious frozen food choices for a nutritious and varied diet for all your marine tropical fish. Includes a diet for herbivores, omnivores, and carnivores in a convenient cube package. Simplifies feeding by separating each food individually into easy-to-give portions. Foil cover preserves freshness and prevents freezer burn. Each 1/2" cube is 4.2 grams.
Marine Cuisine is a blend of natural seafood ingredients, spirulina algae, color enhancers, and added vitamins. This complete diet for your marine omnivores and carnivores provides the nutrition found on coral reefs. Its unique ingredients entice fish to feed with vigor.

Emerald Entrée is a complete nutritional package especially for fish that rely on microalgae and vegetable matter as a main nutrition source. Also contains mysis shrimp, an attractive addition that entice finicky aquarium omnivores and carnivore to eat.

100% Squid is an excellent source of protein and a great supplementary food for carnivores such as Triggerfish and Groupers. Ornamental shrimp and other invertebrates such as crabs and starfish will also enjoy this nutritious treat.

Omega-3 enriched Brine Shrimp, with enhanced HUFA levels, provides an excellent diet for saltwater fish where these special omegas are a must for the overall well-being of your fish.

MarkD

I know I've seen people talk about the tune 9001 skimmer. Mine seems to fill up real fast. I have the height about where it says and I haven't installed my ato yet and I'm assuming that's part of the problem but seems like it will fill up twice a day.

It's only a very light tea or greenish color most of the time.

Does the water level not being constant throw it off that much?

Thx

MarkD

I have a question about rapid led mod on the rsm 130d. It seems like the white over powers the bule plus I've been thinking of replacing some of the leds with other colors, maybe a couple whites with blue or adding some red/pink, any suggestions?
It's an older mod with only two channels white/blue dimmable, I know the newer ones have three I believe.

Thx

MarkD

Hi, wondering what people think about the Jebao pp-4 or SW-4's? Seems like a lot of people like them but there's been a lot 9f failures or don't last that long.
I was looking at the MP10 but saw these and was thinking of trying one out.
Any advise or opinions would be appreciated. Thx

MarkD

Hi All - Haven't been on here for ages but does anyone know if you can connect an Apex jr or Reefkeeper to a redsea max 130d with dimmable rapid led lights to ramp up lights for sunrise/sunset.

Any input appreciated