Recent content by RedSea_New59

1. R

Skimmer is NOT skimming?!?

By sporadic, I mean i can see the microbubbles on the side of the skimmer, then the next day I can see water flow, but much weaker with no microbubbles. I wil clean it better this eve, and with vinegar this time. The impeller looks fine though I am not sure how they look brand new so hard to...
  2. R

Skimmer is NOT skimming?!?

I have a few years old Red Sea 130D max. Lately, the skimmer has not been skimming much at all and the pump has been sporadic. I suspect it is the pump! It works well...then seems to lose power and therefore does not function properly. Aside form getting a new pump, is there something else...
  3. R

Who took a chunk out of my new Six Line Wrasse?

Got a six line wrasse as I have heard they will eat flat worms and are fun to watch. Had him only a week and just noticed that he is bare to the skin on one side near his back tail. Is still swimming ok and all but looks bad and surprised it hasn't killed him yet. Just wondering what did this...
  4. R

Scum on top of water

Ok, so I have 7 small fish (snails and hermits) in my 35 gallon marine reef aquarium....along with several leather coral, pulsating Xenia, Hammer coral and several Zoa's. All is healthy but every 2 days, I get a film or scum on top of the water that I am not sure where it's coming from. If I...
  5. R

I've got flatworms and too many mushrooms....

My newer 35 gallon RedSea aquarium has been taken over by mushrooms. I'd like to cut some back but is there a best way to eradicate some of them without all of them? Also, I have an aiptasia that has grown to about 1.5 inch tentacles....same question. And finally, I have just noticed a ton of...
  6. R

Gravel or go 'Berlin'? Any advice?

Is there any disadvantage in going 'bare bottomed'....other than esthetics?
  7. R

Very helpful info so far! I do have one Orange Spotted Goby that is missing his mouthfuls of sand to munch on, but is getting by on brine shrimp. I think I may go with the thin layer of new aragonite sand as it just looks a bit better asthetically. Would about a 1/2 inch do the trick?
  8. R

My aquarium had a leak so had to replace it about 3 months ago. The new tank is a Red Sea reef tank 130D, so about 34 gallons and is set up in a temporary spot in my house till the new flooring gets put in. The fish, inverts and LR are all doing well, but I did not place the sand in the...
  9. R

Mushrooms are taking over....

After a tank crack and the loss of my previous aquarium, I got this setup from a fellow reefer and added his rock and coral to my rock and coral. Two months later I have a LOT of mushrooms. Please take a look at the pic and let me know if I need to harvest some of these to sell, or if they are...
  10. R

Need advise for restarting my aquarium after aquarium crashed

Thank you for that. I do not have a second tank. I will need to empty the present aquarium where it sits, then set it up again 50 feet from where it is now. So it all looks good now excpet the gravel did not get placed back in......instead I just left it out due to the mess, etc. So I am...
  11. R

Need advise for restarting my aquarium after aquarium crashed

On New Year's Day my aquarium cracked and I lost half the water not to mention my hardwood flooring and some ceiling below. It appears to have been a freak accident, so I replaced the older tank with a newer one - it being the RedSea 130D model. All the fish and corals survived the disaster...
  12. R

HELP!! My Redsea 130 tank cracked vertically.....

and I lost about 10 gallons to my living room before I discovered it! I managed to move my live rock and fish to a tub for the time being. It was a very slow leak so about a third of the the water leaked from the 34 gallon tank. I do not know how it cracked, but I founf that the 2 power head...
  13. R

Growth on coral

I have noticed a white growth at the base of my Candy Cane coral and just wondering what it could be. Any thoughts?
  14. R

my Green Mandarin won't eat frozen food

Just got a beautiful Green Mandarin, and although she grazes on live rocks and looks healthy, she does not eat my frozen Mysis or brine shrimp. Any suggestions as to what/how to feed her, or should I just leave her to graze?
  15. R

Isopod or something else?

Keep getting these little critters about 1/4 of an inch long. Some have antennae's about an inch long. Pic is not very clear, but are these isopods and are they beneficial to place back in the tank when cleaning my filters?