Skimmer is NOT skimming?!?

RedSea_New59

I have a few years old Red Sea 130D max. Lately, the skimmer has not been skimming much at all and the pump has been sporadic. I suspect it is the pump! It works well...then seems to lose power and therefore does not function properly. Aside form getting a new pump, is there something else that would cause this loss in functionality. Would it possibly be the impeller part of the pump that need replacing or something else I could look at to fix this. The pump looks clean and functions well in the sink, but not so well when it's set in place.

Thank you!

Uncle99

Sounds like a worn impeller or something between the impeller and it’s housing.

Have you taking it completely apart, soaked it in vinegar, and cleaner all parts?

Do you regularly clean the Venturi and ensure it’s free of any CA deposits?

Yes and impeller can wear out. Pull it out.
Does the pin look worn ( not shiny) or does the hole in the impeller look oval. Does it seem loose on the pin?

What do you mean but “pump has been sporadic? It should not vary in power through the day.

What works in the sink should work on the tank.

RedSea_New59

By sporadic, I mean i can see the microbubbles on the side of the skimmer, then the next day I can see water flow, but much weaker with no microbubbles. I wil clean it better this eve, and with vinegar this time. The impeller looks fine though I am not sure how they look brand new so hard to compare.
Thanks

Uncle99

You are describing an inability for air to get into the impeller to be churned into micro bubbles, sometimes.

Most common is some calcium deposit restricting air flow or some particle moving around.

I clean my Venturi every month whether or not the skimmer is working to par. Try taking a small drill same size as the hole where the air go into the impeller and see if it goes through easily, if not, twist it by hand until it does. Don’t rely on blowing air through it, air may still pass, but still may be restricted.

I soak my impeller section in vinegar for some hours, then rinse, then ensure the hole is wide open

I doubt the impeller is worn out. If the blades are not broken and it does not wobble on the shaft, it’s fine.

Yup, I agree, give that area some cleaning and advise us on the outcome.

Last edited: