Recent content by koffee

1. koffee

Most Effective way of removing Aiptisia

I never seen any in my tank, but I have 2 peppermint shrimp, so that's what I voted for. I don't know if I just avoided them, or the shrimp got them before I noticed. I have found some in my caulerpa in the fuge, so I could have voted other: prune back the caulerpa.
  2. koffee

Varga's 300 Gallon In-Wall Build!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back when I was thinking of building a Paludarium, I was thinking of going with Ames Elasto-Barrier. According to the manufacturer's web site: I'm not sure if it is a better/similar or cost effective option to the two-part epoxy paints for an aquarium. It might be easier to tint since it is...
  3. koffee

FW pics

Chinese Algae Eaters can be nippy, eat more food than algae as they age, and are not even from China! I always used Ottos and dwarf plecos (clown, "true" butterfly, etc.) in my FW tanks, except tanks that were too small or had things with claws that were too big.
  4. koffee

Frankie's 120gal. glass experiment

Looking good! I have a similar standpipe in my HOB overflow. It involved a lot more cutting of the bushing, but it works great! I still get a little surge in the sump, so perhaps the air flow could be tweaked more, but the important thing is that it is quiet and compact.
  5. koffee

An Alaskan Reef (38G)

In the past week or so, my temps have ranged from 78.5 to 79.9. So it seems the switch from the glass top to egg crate helped. I was at 80-81, but it would sometimes jump to 85. Of course, I'll still have to see what the warmer weather brings. My params still test bad - my tank appears to be...
  6. koffee

FW pics

No, I haven't seen reds. I was working in a pet store about a year ago when someone came in to get rid of their crayfish. I said, "sure, we'll take it," and then realized that we had no tank where it was safe and wouldn't kill the other fish for sale. So, he came home with me. I secretly...
  7. koffee

FW pics

Just thought I'd share a few pics since I still do a little bit of FW. This is the bathroom tank - a 6G Eclipse that's been neglected. There are no fish for now, just plants and MTS. I think it would look great with some glo-fish (danios), but it is only a 6G. Here's my electic...
  8. koffee

Let's watch my new tank grow

I second the nassarius. I also have a conch for sand sifting.
  9. koffee

Music

I listen to, "You all everybody" by Drive Shaft! :) Actually, "other" is the only choice for me, although sometimes that includes blues or classical. I have some obscure tastes... everything from Beethoven to Dead Can Dance, from Bob Marley to Kate Bush, and from Patti Smith to Indigo Girls...
  10. koffee

The Full Tank Shot Thread!!!

I can't compete with some (or most) of these tanks. Good thing this is not a competition! :) This is my best FTS so far. Next time, I'll try to remember to turn off the room lights which should make for a better shot.
  11. koffee

An Alaskan Reef (38G)

Thanks, all. The red will go away soon enough. I always added the algae in smaller batches, but this time I put in a lot. I would like to see the sea hare actually eating some. He loves the stuff, but I never seem to catch him eating it.
  12. koffee

An Alaskan Reef (38G)

Just some pics from tonight: Sea Hare Food FTS
  13. koffee

Algae (lawnmower) Blenny

I haven't seen mine mess with fish, shrimp, etc.
  14. koffee

need light ID please

Thanks all, but never mind. I thought it was a good deal on Craigslist. The seller didn't remember the brand. But I would have to replace the 96W PC actinics (almost $150 locally). The seller was including an HQI that was purchased for $30. That doesn't sound right; the cheapest I found with...
  15. koffee

New Fishy

Oooh, nice. I used to have one. But then I learned the difference between a royal gramma and a royal dottyback. I got rid of the dottyback, and am waiting to spot a healthy gramma at the LFS.